PDA

View Full Version : cute little bugger

houie925
10-16-2008, 11:32 PM
need help with identification. I saw this gar pic on aquabid and am considering purchase but he doesn't know what type of gar it is
gar auction (http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fw&1224610240)

angelcakes
10-17-2008, 07:38 AM
possibly a needlenose gar :19:

gm72
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Most gar grow to a minimum of a foot long, most larger. I don't know what type you have there, but it doesn't look like an alligator gar. Just please, PLEASE, once identified, research the fish. Gar can get absolutely HUGE. You don't want to get a fish for which you can not adequately keep.

Demjor19
10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
The Gar referenced in the above link is a Florida/Spotted Gar. It's more than likely a Florida Gar (Lepisosteus Platyrhincus) since they are far more common to find in the hobby, but the two are nearly impossible to tell apart without knowing their locality info. These Gar tend to grow anywhere from 16-24 inches in the home aquaria and your typical specimen will average around 18".

Gar should never be kept with aggressive tankmates such as Cichlids. In reality the list of tankmates they CAN be kept with is much shorter than that of the ones they can NOT be kept with.

If you have any further questions...please feel free to ask!

Edit: All Gar (Lepisosteidae) are in fact illegal in California.

Red
10-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I think thats a flordia gar . Demjor on this site will know it he has a lot of gars, but they need a pond full grown.

EDIT: haa i knew you were going to answer lol

Demjor19
10-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I think thats a flordia gar . Demjor on this site will know it he has a lot of gars, but they need a pond full grown.

EDIT: haa i knew you were going to answer lol

Good ID on your part! A pond is definitely not required for this species. In most cases your typical (6 x 2 x 2) tank will be sufficient.

Just for reference...here is a pic of my near adult 18" Florida Gar.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/Picture009.jpg

houie925
10-17-2008, 03:36 PM
thanks for the help guys. I won't be purchasing right now as I am prepping for a move in the next month or so but once I'm settled, we'll see

Demjor19
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
thanks for the help guys. I won't be purchasing right now as I am prepping for a move in the next month or so but once I'm settled, we'll see

Unless you are moving out of CA i would advise against purchasing him at all. Just a thought.