PDA

View Full Version : red ear sliders not eating

that 1 guy
10-16-2008, 09:38 AM
i have a friend he got some baby red ear sliders from LA like a month ago there not eating and all they do is stay under water n hide under rocks i think its cuz they leave the turtle tank in the corner of the room n they get no light n the water has no heater r anything am i right???

Fishguy2727
10-16-2008, 12:07 PM
They need:
-Full spectrum UVB lighting
-heat lights
-basking area enough to get out and dry off completely, all of them
-may need heater in water to keep it up at 75F
-basking area at 85F
-lots of filtration
-lots of cleaning/water changes (weekly minimum)
-Proper diet (unless they are refusing non-live foods this means a mix of high quality pellets like Zoo Med, Hagen, and even high quality fish foods)
-Space (a few hatchlings can start off in a 10, but will soon need ot be upgraded)

that 1 guy
10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
im not asking wat they need not my turtles...im just asking if i was right r not about them not eating...

invadertoast
10-16-2008, 09:57 PM
If they're not being provided what they need, then yes you are correct. Reptiles need heat (and some need UVB light,) without it they can't digest properly and are not active.

that 1 guy
10-16-2008, 11:33 PM
thanks thats all i needed 2 know

Gemini
10-17-2008, 01:22 AM
To be fair, Dave66 told you what they need - powers of deduction say that if they need:
-Full spectrum UVB lighting
-heat lights
-basking area enough to get out and dry off completely, all of them
-may need heater in water to keep it up at 75F
-basking area at 85F
Then obviously if they have no heather, and no light, then there lays the problem.
Dave66 I believe is also saying that the turtles won't be happy without all of those things. NOt just heat but light, clean water etc.

invadertoast
10-17-2008, 01:34 AM
That was Fishguy with all the correct info :)

Gemini
10-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Yeah so it was! Idiot gemini!!! Sorry FishGuy!!
I can't edit it either :1luvu:

Fishguy2727
10-17-2008, 02:04 AM
No problem.

Exactly. If they are not provided with all the things they need there are many possible problems that could result, including not eating. Let your friend know that if changes are not made soon they are killing these innocent animals. Just because you do not intentionally and directly kill an animal but just let it happen, you still caused their death. (Not you, your friend.)

that 1 guy
10-17-2008, 03:13 AM
yea i know i told him he said hell move it somewere elce so it wont b in the dark so much n change some stuff