PDA

View Full Version : Plants for bettas?

OwnerOfPhil
10-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I have a tiny little tank that I think is about 5 gal (not sure exactly, more than 1 gal) and a beautiful little betta that was put in groups 3's 20 gal tank for the grade and has now been rejected because they want other fish so they are thinking of FLUSHING IT!?! I'm going to take it off their hands :D (it's in my class, we do nothing but fish tank stuff, group 3 is the deadbeat group)
Was wondering if underwater plants can be put in there, what kinds, and if it will need a filter.

Mvjnz
10-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Bettas love plants to hide in. The more the better imo:)

A filter will make your job a lot easier, because you won't need to change the water every day, so yeah I would highly recommend getting a small internal filter.

And good on ya for rescuing the little critter:)

Kathyd
10-16-2008, 02:28 AM
Hey, if your aquarium doesn't have lights I recoment aponogeton bulbs. They are sold at Walmart, Petco ect., sometimes under the name "betta bulbs." My tank doesn't have lights and they do just great with the room lights. I had a box of 4 and 2 sprouted (the other two molded) but those 2 are very large now. Plus, their only $2.99. Another good low light plant is Java Fern. I've never had it, but everyone raves about it.

Dave66
10-16-2008, 05:05 AM
Floating plants are the Betta's natural environs. Ceratopsis cornuta aka water fern is your best bet. It grows very well in most tanks with full spectrum lights and a cover to maintain humidity. Buy just a single plant, as it will spread and build high islands of plants, with the leaves below turning yellow and start to decay due to lack of light. You'll need a pair of very sharp scissors to keep the plant in shape.
The Betta will build his bubble nest beneath the plant, as he would in nature.
Plant is very common in the hobby. Google the scientific name for a picture and details about the plant.
And you do need a filter, and perhaps a heater, as Bettas do best between 82 and 84 degrees.

Dave

Dave

Kayla-Bug
10-17-2008, 12:09 AM
Wow that's really rude of them to want to flush it!.... I think any kind of aquatic plant would be fine as some had said, they love to hide and sit on the plants. And floating plants would make them happy, too. They will probably build their bubble nest around it!