PDA

View Full Version : cory and betta tank troubles

wolf_eyes
10-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Hello everyone. Recently I got some small corys(3) for my 10 gallon tank that has a Betta in it. I've had them for about a week now but I've been having troubles with my betta in there with them. At meal time he will get extremely aggressive and chase them away from their food(hikari sinking pellets/ algae pellets) while attempting to eat it himself. This makes him get constipated and has troubles swimming afterwards. Also with his flaring and chasing I have noticed that his fins have some rips in them when the corys try to hide in the driftwood and he goes in there after them (i know it's not definately not fin rot). If I had the option i would put him in another tank but unfortunately the only thing I have extra is a 1 gallon bowl. I would go out and buy another but I don't have a job currently and I really can't afford it.

I was thinking of maybe buying(or making) a large net or container of some sorts so that i could separate the two species during feeding time. Is this a good idea and, if so, what should I get for separation?

They seem to get along fine an hour after the corys food has disappeared. But if they absolutely need to be separated should I put him back in the bowl, try to find him a new home, or put a permanent separator in the tank?

Thanks for all your help.

Northernguy
10-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Its obviously not working .I would seperate asap.Corys love to forge around looking for food,not just at feeding time. In time either your corys will get too stressed and starve or your beta will end up killing one or all.As for the beta and his fins.He has a good chance of devoloping either a fin rot or fungus.
Its a very small tank and tetras would be a better mix!:19:

wolf_eyes
10-16-2008, 01:01 AM
I had a feeling that was going to be the response. A few people I talked to in real life said it would work out, but I didn't think it would.

So now that he has to be taken out, what are my options for him? I know the bowl is too small for him. There is a pet store in town that keeps their bettas that are on sale in bigger (3 gallon) tanks and that they had a woman's betta in their before, so should i try to take him there, or find him a new home? I feel horrible for letting it get to this point :(

Gemstone
10-16-2008, 09:54 AM
you get a largish breeder net and keep him in there till your position gets better..

Sharon
10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I would suggest, as a last resort, to put him in the bowl, with a small plant, and a small heater. Change the water every two days, and remove uneaten food. I have kept a Betta with swim bladder issues in those conditions, and judging by the frequency of bubble nests, he was happy...that is assuming that we actually know what makes our fish happy. When you can afford it, get him a 5gal tank...sometimes they go really cheap, if you can find a second hand tank.

gm72
10-16-2008, 10:35 AM
This unfortunately sometimes happens. Some bettas will tolerate company, others won't. The 3 gallon would be fine with a small filter and heater, a nice little home for him.

Northernguy
10-16-2008, 02:35 PM
I have a beta in with tetras but they are a lot faster than cories.
You had some great ideas mentioned .I hope you can set up something else instead of giving it away.:11:
Good luck and let us know!

wolf_eyes
10-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Currently he's back in the bowl with a small plant from the other tank. When I came home from classes I noticed he was making a bubble nest. I guess he's doing alright in there for now. I'm still debating what to do for him permanently because, by the time I have money to spend on a tank, it will probably be late december.