PDA

View Full Version : Betta tank with Filter?

gourami*girl
10-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Asking another question for my sister who is working on starting a Betta tank:

Would a 5 gallon Betta tank need a filter? We've read (and heard from a friend of mine) that Bettas don't like the water in their tank to be moving, and so shouldn't have a filter. Frequent water changes replace the need for a filter. Is this correct? If, so how would this tank cycle (where would the bacteria go?) and would enough oxygen get into the water?

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Thats an on going debate! lol:19:
IMO Yes they are fish just as is an oscar or a tetra!
Filter ,heater ,and love! Don't forget plants and wood.:c3:

invadertoast
10-15-2008, 08:03 PM
All my bettas got used to the current from the filter (I have a 2.5 gal and another divided 2.5 with a filter on each side.) I use an Elite mini in one and a Tom's Dive Clean Mini on either side of the divided tank. The Toms filters are about two years old now and still work great! They have adjustable flow too, and came with spraybars to distribute the water coming out of the filter. I don't use the spray bars because they were too long to fit where I needed them, but they're awesome filters and my bettas don't seem to mind the current at all.

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I have mine in a 10 with a 2ogal/hr filter as well!:19:

BettaSei
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I have a small tank with a filter, and my betta plays in the bubbles my filter creates. There's space with non-moving water, but he thinks it's fun to pop the bubbles...

gm72
10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Filter is needed IMO. They won't mind the mild current generated by, say, a small Whisper in-tank filter.

AmazingH
10-16-2008, 01:11 AM
For a 5G, use a sponge filter. They're easy to replace, work great, and silent. You can use an office clip on the plastic tubing to control bubble creation.
They're gentle enough that they still allow betta eggs to hatch and don't suck them in, so they're even more perfect for full growns.

If you don't use a filter.. you almost need to do a complete empty of the tank once a month.. with partial water changes each week.. with aged water.. of course!

Mvjnz
10-16-2008, 01:28 AM
I had a normal, internal filter in my 20 litre betta tank, and it worked really well. I put a spraybar on it and set it so it pointed back towards the wall where the filter sat, to reduce movement in the water. So the water was well filtered, but there was hardly any movement in half the tank. What little movement there was didn't seem to bother him at all.

gm72
10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
For a 5G, use a sponge filter. They're easy to replace, work great, and silent. \

Not trying to start an argument, but how can a sponge filter be silent when they operate via bubbles? There is noise from the air pump (potentially, depending on which model is used) and from the bubbling effect itself.

gourami*girl
10-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. A filter it is! I have a small HOB that I'm not using I could give her.

Thanks again!