PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down Catfish Sick or Injured

Sharon
10-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Frank, my UDC, is unwell. He is normally a great fish, and has been living in my Mbuna tank. He's never bothered by the cichlids, and eats aggressively and well. He was absent from feeding on Sunday, which immediately alerted me to the fact that something was wrong. On Monday morning, I removed all rocks from the tank in order to net him. He is now in a 10 gal. hospital tank. He does have some slightly damaged fins, and a red spot on one of them. He is looking a little better, and did take some food this morning, but when he eats, he seems to be uncomfortable, and shakes his head. I've examined his mouth and all seems fine, although there is a dark area...which may even be normal. I was wondering if I could add an antibiotic presribed for humans to the water. Husband just got back from the doctor...as luck should have it! Fish meds are hard to come by here, and all I have access to is Melafix and Pimafix. The prescribed antibiotic that I do have is labelled AMOXI CIAV 250mg...underneath that it says AMOX TR\ POTASSIUM CLAVAL. I'd like to treat him, as he's one of my favourites...but I don't want to make things worse using an inappropiate med...Any ideas?

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 05:08 PM
That is a good description but a few pics of what you see would really help!
Do not add antything meant for humans until you figure out what is going on.
I am sorry to her about your little friend but please wait until you have heard from others!

angelcakes
10-15-2008, 05:09 PM
That is a good description but a few pics of what you see would really help!
Do not add antything meant for humans until you figure out what is going on.
as northenguy has stated do not add any meds that are ment for humans and pics would help

Sharon
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I've been trying for pics...he's not making it easy...I'll keep trying.

Sharon
10-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Had to go around the back and take the background off for these...I'll try for better pics later...I'm wondering if he could have got himself stuck, and hurt himself.

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 05:56 PM
His eyes look hazed over is that normal for him?
What could he get stuck under?
Did you happen to notice anything on him yesterday?

Sharon
10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
His eyes are fine...that's just the pic. He could have gotten stuck somehow in the rocks...there are a lot of them in the Mbuna tank...

Red
10-15-2008, 06:53 PM
IMO he look beat to all heck.... I would keep the temp up some and watch for bacterial infections

Northernguy
10-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Sharon, hows your cat today?:11:

Sharon
10-17-2008, 02:51 PM
I decided to add the antibiotic, as there was nothing to lose...Frank was really in bad shape, and he is in isolation. After treating, he didn't improve very much in the first 12 hours...in fact I considered euthanizing...and felt certain I would be doing it today. HOWEVER...he seems to be showing signs of improvment. His breathing is better, and he ate a piece of shrimp this morning. I've just done a water change, as I realize the tank is uncycled now...am getting Ammonia readings. I will water change when needed and hope for the best!

Thanks for asking!!!

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 03:10 PM
:c2: Has he showed any improvment yet?

Sharon
10-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Well, he is improved, but not back to normal. I just finished a water change. He's relatively inactive, but his breathing still seems better. He hasn't eaten today, so far...

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Keep trying !!:c3:

Maybe try starting a new post in the disease section.Only because you haven't had much response here.

Sharon
10-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Well, Frank has made a come back!!! :hyper: I treated with antibiotics, and he's doing well, although it's taken awhile. There were times when I was sure he wouldn't make it. I'm continuing antibiotic teratment and will continue for awhile. I have concerns now, about putting him back with the Malawis, although there WERE no problems that I saw. I need an opinion...I'm considering putting him in the 55gal. when he's ready. See sig. for tank occupants. I'm a little concerned that he may not get along there, as I do have quite a few bottom dwellers, including a very "cranky" Clown Pleco. What do you guys think?

Northernguy
10-23-2008, 10:53 PM
If he was in there before why not !Unless of coarse one of them beat him up in the first place.
Is it possible it was heater burns?
Do you think it was a sharp rock?
How much longer with the meds?

Sharon
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I have seen no aggression towards him from the Mbuna. I'm thinking it was a bacterial infection, as the antibiotic is working. I don't really know what caused his injuries, but I'm sure, if he was feeling sick, the cichlids would have taken advantage of that! I'm going to continue the meds for another week, as he still seems to have some discomfort when he eats. He's had such a bad time, I'm nervous about putting him back with the "hooligans!" I'm considering the 55gal. and hope the Clown Pleco doesn't take a disliking to him. I saw some BumbleBee catfish today...Oh, I wish I had room!

Northernguy
10-24-2008, 02:55 PM
You could try him in the 55 but be ready to net him out.He should be alright in his original home but wait till he is completely heeled!

Sharon
10-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Here's Frank, in all his glory. :19: He's having an afternoon snack...I'm trying to fatten him up, as he has lost weight. He thinks he's died and gone to heaven, with all the treats he's been getting!:19:

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 12:57 AM
He looks wonderful:19: !Is he going back in the original tank ?

Sharon
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure...I don't want a repeat of this episode...I'm strongly considering the 55gal.

Northernguy
10-26-2008, 02:27 PM
If there is nothing that will hurt it in there it would be a nice sized home for him.Make sure it has a hiding place all its own.:c3:
Thats a great shot of him!:19:

Sharon
10-29-2008, 12:03 AM
I've moved Frank into the 55gal. and he seems thrilled. He has been wondering what the clown Pleco finds so tasty with the wood though...

Northernguy
10-29-2008, 02:35 AM
Plecos love wood.Mine is on the wood more than anything else.
Really nice clown as well. nice pics !