PDA

View Full Version : Light question and Fish question

coveredup
10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
My new tank setup has a 150w 10k coralife clamp on mount. Its a 38 gallon.
What advantage/disadvantage would i get if i went with a 6700k bulb?

Also, my new angels have a film on their noses! 3 Days old, looks gross. Is this the "stress coat", I heard that term years ago.

Thanks,

Jeff

Dr.Fragenstein
10-14-2008, 11:26 PM
The 150w MH will work pretty well in your case. Honestly, if I was you, I WOULD go w/ a 6700k bulb as they will peak more in the "red" and "yellow" spectrums which FW plants will utilize more. The disadvantage is the tank will look more "yellow" which some people don't care for. Many people esp. in Europe like the whole MH lights on planted tanks. You should get good growth.
The angels, I would have to say is NOT the stress/slime coat. I would, without seeing them, say it is more of a reaction to a possible bacterial infection. I would keep a close eye on it and if possible post some pics so the diagnoses is easier to make.

Good luck

coveredup
10-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Interesting! I'll have to go price a 6700.

Probably the wrong area to ask about white fuzz on the top of the few of my fish, but, anyone know what this is? I'll try and get a pic. Its on little neons that are very very active, hard to keep still and snap a pic. the angel died. :(

gm72
10-18-2008, 05:28 PM
6700k would be for growing plants. 10000k is not.

White fuzz sounds like a fungal infection which requires immediate attention and treatment with anti-fungal medications.