PDA

View Full Version : Wow! Eggs

Northernguy
10-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I opened my canopy door this morning and got a shock ! There was a pile of apple snail eggs stuck to the top of the door.The shocking part was I grabbed it with my hand opening the door.Its about 1 3/4" long and near 3/4" thick. They lay a lot of eggs.
I removed it with a razor blade and put it in my 3gal. tank. I think I may be sorry I kept them all.:18:
I'll post pics soon.

Are apple snails suppose to be stuck together every day?

Gayle
10-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Umm....ok.......PICS SOON? It has been what 2 minutes? Hurry it up. LOL

I do not know anything about snails. Sorry.

Northernguy
10-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Hehe :hmm3grin2orange: My wife is on the pic puter right now,soon!:19:

terrapin24h
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
color me jealous. I've lowered my water level, slowed my filter down, and over-fed the tank a bit to get the snails to lay eggs. Nuthin. I swear i got all guys/girls, or snails that subscribe to "alternative lifestyles" lol :)

--chris

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 03:31 PM
I got some clear shots.There must be 500 eggs here and thet are still stuck together every dat. Its funny too watch because the female(I think) drags the other snail all over the tank while she is busy eating.
They don't even stop for a smoke! :hmm3grin2orange:

Enjoy the pics.I will try and take pics daily to show the process!
These eggs were laid at least 8" above the water!

angelcakes
10-15-2008, 04:03 PM
there great pics and thats a lot of eggs:19: :19: they have been busy:hmm3grin2orange:

Annamo25
10-15-2008, 05:58 PM
I just got home from a 5 day vacation and our house sitter thought a snail crawled out of its shell. It was actually eggs on the bottom of the lid! The pod looks just like yours and Im afraid to move it! I knew those two snails of mine were playing sucky face alot lately!

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
What are you going to do with them?
You could let them hatch and give them to a few lfs in your area.
You could also remove them with a razor and dispose of them.:c3:

Annamo25
10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Would they make good fish food for my JD? lol. I was thinking about buying a small tank and setting it up for them. I thought it would be fun!

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't see why not but please do not take my word for it,I am not an expert !
I just put them in a 1gal. with tank water in it and an air stone.

Gayle
10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Great pics!!!!!!!!!!! That is awesome!!! I cant wait to see all the stages they go through!!! Rock on!!!

Northernguy
10-17-2008, 06:51 PM
I have some days 2 and 3 shots here not much change on the outside !

I have found info about the snails but not much about the eggs.

My guess is not long now!

terrapin24h
10-17-2008, 07:36 PM
uh, are those eggs submerged? The look like they are in a bowl of water, but they are not supposed to be under water in any way. They are meant to be kept moist while developing but not wet, at least according to what i've read. That's why mom lays them near but above the water line.

--chris

from applesnail.net:

It's important to keep the eggs in a moist, but not wet environment. Never keep these eggs under water (this will drown the embryos)! Keep the temperature between 18 and 28°C (65-82°F). The higher the temperature, the faster the snails will hatch.
Note!: Not all apple snails from the genus Pomacea lay their eggs above the waterline in a clutch. Pomacea urceus lays about 50 to 200 orange eggs at the inside of the shell near the aperture. The eggs are brooded in this incubation chamber, closed off with the mother's operculum (shell-door), while the snail aestivates in the dry mud during the dry season. The young snails hatch during this period and crawl around under the female's shell until the rainy season starts. A side effect of this reproduction method is visible as eggscars on the mother's shell at the place where the eggs were attached.
In the picture section there are more pictures of apple snail eggs.

Northernguy
10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Yes they are under water . Like I said I haven't found much info about them!
They seem to be getting a little darker in the middle,but not much.

Are they not suppose to be underwater?

terrapin24h
10-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Yes they are under water . Like I said I haven't found much info about them!
They seem to be getting a little darker in the middle,but not much.

Are they not suppose to be underwater?

No, they are supposed to be moist but not submerged. For info go here:

www.applesnail.net

Click on "Care" on the left side then scroll down to "eggs" section. That's where i pasted the blurb in my above post from

--chris

Northernguy
10-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Thats good to know! Thank you terrapin24h :c3:
I'll try draining most of the water and and putting them up on a rock!

I'm not that worried about it right now.If they hatch ,great!
These two have been at it every day since I put the second one in there.I just looked at them ,there at it again! I know I will have lots more.

They don't even wait for the lights and music anymore!

Tolley
10-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I doubt these will hatch now they have been submerged. But there will definitly be a next time!

terrapin24h
10-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Thats good to know! Thank you terrapin24h :c3:
I'll try draining most of the water and and putting them up on a rock!

I'm not that worried about it right now.If they hatch ,great!
These two have been at it every day since I put the second one in there.I just looked at them ,there at it again! I know I will have lots more.

They don't even wait for the lights and music anymore!

no sweat. that site will tell you all you want to know(and more) about snails. My 4 haven't done it once(that im aware of) and i have no eggs. grrrr

--chris

Northernguy
10-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Mine are doing it again! I don't know if they are just practicing or what.:19:

I know I will have more eggs ,No not worried!

Mvjnz
10-19-2008, 01:55 AM
3 gallons is barely large enough for one clutch of eggs. Technically the babies will survive even if you keep 100s in a tiny tank, but growth rate will go down drastically. If you wanna keep them all you should spread them out in different tanks.

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 02:16 AM
A friend wants some and my lfs will take hundreds !:19:

I am not trying to start breeding,they started it:c2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Most of the clutches I get will be destroyed.Do you think my Os would eat them?
Would it be harmful?

Mvjnz
10-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Your LFS accepts tiny mystery snails? They're only about 3 mm long when they hatch, and if they're kept in a very small tank they will hardly grow at all. Usually the mystery snails I see at the pet stores here are considerably bigger than newly hatched ones.

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Thats my problem. I don't have an lfs with more than 6 tanks and they are all 20s. There is 2 here and 1 has a 65gal. personal tank.

I really miss having selection. I really miss Bid Als in the city

As for mine ,next time i will cut the clutch in half or less and place it on the rock and wait!!!

Mvjnz
10-20-2008, 01:34 AM
A lid is good for keeping moisture in, if you don't have a lid squirt some tank water on the clutch once or twice a day. Just a few drops is enough.

terrapin24h
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
A lid is good for keeping moisture in, if you don't have a lid squirt some tank water on the clutch once or twice a day. Just a few drops is enough.

a couple of layers of plastic wrap with holes poked/cut in for gas exchange would work well too. I read somewhere(applesnail.net???) that rh of something like 70-80% is preferred for the eggs.

--chris

Northernguy
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the tip!I am still waiting to see er when I get a new clutch.
I know i will have one soon,these two just never seem to quit.
Its funny to watch,when he is hooked onto her she just goes on her way usually from the bottom to the top and then parks it for awhile.She then lets go and they both fall to the bottom.He usually lets go as soon as she does that.

terrapin24h
10-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the tip!I am still waiting to see er when I get a new clutch.
I know i will have one soon,these two just never seem to quit.
Its funny to watch,when he is hooked onto her she just goes on her way usually from the bottom to the top and then parks it for awhile.She then lets go and they both fall to the bottom.He usually lets go as soon as she does that.

Dude, yer killin me. Your snails are going all "hippie love fest" and mine are apparently saving themselves for marriage, with no snail minister in sight! LOL :) I swear, if i don't have eggs by the time the invert tank cycles, I'm going to buy 4 more and put all 8 in the invert tank, then i'll probably get more than i can handle :) Good for you anyway :)

--chris

kazinvan
10-27-2008, 09:27 PM
I have 5 big snails and no eggs yet but they haven't been in the tank very long. If they breed great if not then no big deal. My zebra snails lay eggs all over the place and they are impossible to remove. From what I read, they are difficult to raise and the eggs never hatch. The goldfish pick at them but can't ever get one off the rocks or glass.