PDA

View Full Version : I guess she hates the filter?

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Here she goes again showing off those chompers! This time she chewed the tip off of the filter intake tube...last time she chewed the powerchord in half for her powerhead. What's next...the heater? Anyway...she's a great fish and i lover her! Hope you enjoy the pics!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN0095.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN0096.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish%20II/DSCN0093.jpg

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Nice. I can't see the whole pic but is that a Rhom?

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Nice. I can't see the whole pic but is that a Rhom?

Yes...Here are a few pics of just her.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN6635.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster%20Fish/DSCN6628.jpg

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Very impressive. Nice fish. Too bad I can't keep them down here. They are illegal to own in South Carolina.

Northernguy
10-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Great shots Demjor!:19:
That is one mean lookin' fish.:18:
Is it related to the pirahna family?
How many intakes has it eaten so far?:c2:

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Very impressive. Nice fish. Too bad I can't keep them down here. They are illegal to own in South Carolina.

Thanks. That's a bummer you cant keep them down there. That's all thanks to the irresponsible fish keepers out there.

Great shots Demjor!:19:
That is one mean lookin' fish.:18:
Is it related to the pirahna family?
How many intakes has it eaten so far?:c2:

Serrasalmus Rhombeus = Black Piranha

Thanks for the kind words and this is her first intake tube. It is impossible to keep the tank decorated with her in it. She chews decor like crazy.

Northernguy
10-14-2008, 02:19 PM
She appears to have quite the attitude.:c3: I guess it up to her what her tank looks like.:19:

Some women just don't have an eye for decor!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Good grief!!!! How do you do water changes...I'd be a little intimidated!!!:laugh1blue:

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 02:26 PM
She appears to have quite the attitude.:c3: I guess it up to her what her tank looks like.:19:

Some women just don't have an eye for decor!:hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah...she has to live in there, so she can do what she wants with it. My only concern is that she looks good!

Northernguy
10-14-2008, 02:45 PM
She looks good!:scool:

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Good grief!!!! How do you do water changes...I'd be a little intimidated!!!:laugh1blue:

I do water changes just like you would an any normal tank. You just need to always have one eye on her and work on the opposite side of the tank from what she is on.

She looks good!:scool:

Thanks!

abaigael04
10-14-2008, 03:58 PM
:jaws: wow! Nice fish. And I'm scared of my pictus cats! Hah!

Gayle
10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Very cool fish, looks a tad bit spooky, but very cool! So how you going to stop her from chewing everything up?

Gayle
10-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Very cool fish, looks a tad bit spooky, but very cool! So how you going to stop her from chewing everything up?

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 05:09 PM
:jaws: wow! Nice fish. And I'm scared of my pictus cats! Hah!

LOL! Thanks!

Thanks. There's nothing i can really do to stop her from chewing most things...just order some spare parts from Hagen (AquaClear) i guess.

W_Oz
10-14-2008, 05:30 PM
I'd say that all you'd need to do was get a strainer that was bigger than her mouth to fix that intake problem. Great looking fish, I'd be scared to keep her personally, I like my fish to have their teeth neatly kept in their throats. ;)

Either that or consider leaving the filter strainer bit off. I imagine she's the only thing in the tank (alive) and I don't think she'd be in danger of getting sucked into the filter. Also, and I have no idea about this, but I'm guessing these fish are at least a little smart. Have you tried throwing sacrificial nick-knacks into the tank for her to "play with". I know some predatory fish need some distraction, like Arowanas needing something like a ping pong ball on the water in their tank. I dunno, just a thought.

Demjor19
10-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd say that all you'd need to do was get a strainer that was bigger than her mouth to fix that intake problem. Great looking fish, I'd be scared to keep her personally, I like my fish to have their teeth neatly kept in their throats. ;)

Either that or consider leaving the filter strainer bit off. I imagine she's the only thing in the tank (alive) and I don't think she'd be in danger of getting sucked into the filter. Also, and I have no idea about this, but I'm guessing these fish are at least a little smart. Have you tried throwing sacrificial nick-knacks into the tank for her to "play with". I know some predatory fish need some distraction, like Arowanas needing something like a ping pong ball on the water in their tank. I dunno, just a thought.

I actually did end up cutting the strainer the rest of the way off (to prevent choking). As you said..there is nothing else in the tank with her and she is over 13", so she's not getting sucked in.

I do change her tank up from time to time...add driftwood, fake plants, different substrates, and i've had a nice school of neon tetra with her for quite a while, but when i removed the driftwood she found a way catch them. She doesnt always chew things, but once in a while she has an anxiety attack and decides she has to destroy everything in her path.

Northernguy
10-14-2008, 10:42 PM
WOW! I don't think I have ever seen a pirahna that large.

How long has the apple snail been in there?:c2:

Red
10-14-2008, 11:12 PM
DEMJOR!
you have another fish you can send my way my :) my birthday is coming up soon!

dean30bb
10-15-2008, 05:13 AM
woah lol she is kool.

dose she try and eat the snails ???

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2008, 05:49 AM
She's a monster alright.

Demjor19
10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments! I'm sure she would be flattered! :hmm3grin2orange:

Also...the snails lived with her for about a year and she only managed to catch one. Once and a while i would hear her bounce them off the glass. I think they normally moved slow enough to not catch her attention though.

DEMJOR!
you have another fish you can send my way my :) my birthday is coming up soon!

HAHA...sure! You have expensive taste!