PDA

View Full Version : is somehting wrong wit my betta??

that 1 guy
10-13-2008, 04:19 PM
my super delta tail has some clears fins n yesterday for some reason it started 2 get pinkish is there something wrong with his fin???

AmazingH
10-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Can you get a picture and post it here?

Pictures really help.
How old, where did you get him from.. his diet, housing, temperature, ph, nitrites, nitrates?

If he is young it could just be his color changing...

~AH

Kayla-Bug
10-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Could be color changing or fin rot. A agree a picture will help ID what's wrong with him. :D

Kathyd
10-13-2008, 07:25 PM
I had a betta that had clear fins until I got it home. Once it had good quality water and food, you could see the pink in it's fins. Better conditions bring out color better in any fish. Did you just recently purchase your fish?

that 1 guy
10-13-2008, 08:36 PM
yea i got it like a week now i think.. i saw him in the pet store n he was all skinny so i just got him since he was a super delta n i felt srry for him

that 1 guy
10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq217/mienkasper_2007/DSC09050.jpg

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq217/mienkasper_2007/DSC09049.jpg

AmazingH
10-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Hm.. it's probably just because you've been taking such good care of him...!:19:

Watch though if his body starts turning black.. it could me nitrate (nitrite?) burn from not letting the water settle for a day before putting him in. If there are tiny air bubbles stuck to the sides and bottom of his container/tank, you need to let the water settle for 24 hours before adding him. These bubble WILL form inside of him. Not good.

~AH

:19: :19:

edit -
Nice colors.. looking closer... the green sort of looks like it could be fungus? Keep an eye on it...

that 1 guy
10-14-2008, 02:06 AM
he blew the bubbles himself n he really isnt that green hes more like a pearlesent white wen light shines on him he looks dat green color n somtimes blueish... but the pinknest wasnt on him untell like 2 days ago... just a lil bit worried... only got him cuz i felt srry for him n now he grew on me n i dont want anyting bad 2 happen 2 him

OscarFan
10-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Is he in a bowl???????

troy
10-14-2008, 02:42 AM
Hm.. it's probably just because you've been taking such good care of him...!:19:

Watch though if his body starts turning black.. it could me nitrate (nitrite?) burn from not letting the water settle for a day before putting him in. If there are tiny air bubbles stuck to the sides and bottom of his container/tank, you need to let the water settle for 24 hours before adding him. These bubble WILL form inside of him. Not good.

~AH

:19: :19:

edit -
Nice colors.. looking closer... the green sort of looks like it could be fungus? Keep an eye on it...
You should cycle the cycle the tank not just wait a day.

that 1 guy
10-14-2008, 03:49 AM
yea hes in a bowl dont really have another fish tank right now imma buy it later cuz im breeding guppies right now n i also have kois so i dont really have a tank for him but its alot better then the cup the pet store puts them in

OscarFan
10-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Petco sells these 5 dollar carbon filters powered by air pumps. One of those could help improve his status.

AmazingH
10-15-2008, 12:19 AM
There really is no need for a filter, heater, or large tank (like a 10G for a single betta)

I have successfully kept bettas in glass jars and containers, and probably 75% of me bettas have lived to be 3-5 Years old.

You DON'T need filters, aslong as you keep up on waterchanges every few days. If you find your bowls get cloudy on the fifth day, change the water on the 3rd day.

You DON'T need heaters, aslong as your house or room is insulated and stays about 76-82 degrees.

Really, a betta needs around a gallon and their water changed 100% every 3 days. They need their uneaten food taken out as soon as it sinks to the bottom. They need a diet of a few different foods, like flakes, pellets, and frozen bloodworms. They need a fairly constant temperature.

They don't need much, but that being said, it dosen't hurt to give them a 5G with a filter and heater. It's fine if you only have one betta, but if you have multiple... or dozens (or rescue, and have fairly changing numbers) it's probably way to much work and money.

Just keep him warm, with clean water and good food and he'll become a wonderful little betta buddy!!

~AH:hmm3grin2orange:

Mvjnz
10-15-2008, 01:15 AM
I disagree. I've seen bettas kept in tiny tanks/bowls and I have seen them kapt in large tanks. They are a completely different fish when kept in larger tanks. They are more active and patrol their entire tank and investigate everything in their tank.

In a small bowl they become lethargic out of boredom. And what's the point of keeping a fish in a bowl where it can hardly move anyway? If you just want something pretty to look at go and buy a painting of a betta. If you want to observe the betta's natural behaviour, give it room to move.

No fish tank NEEDS a filter or a heater, but it makes it a whole lot easier if you do have them. As you mentioned, without a filter you have to change water every day, and 100% every 3 days. What a hassle! What if you have better things to do? With a filter you only need to change water once a week.

20 litres is the absolute minimum imo, but preferable bigger. And in bigger tanks it's easier to keep them with other fish, because there's room for plants and caves where they can hide and get out of each other's line of sight.

OscarFan
10-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Lol who keeps their house at 76 degrees. Betas need heaters and filters just like everyother fish. I dont know why people count them as diferent when they are the same.

that 1 guy
10-15-2008, 03:40 AM
well its been like 8 years since the last time i rasied bettas n back then i used 2 keep them in little jars n they did just fine... but i really dont know why this ones fins r turning pinkish i been keeping his water clean n feeding him bloodworms... do u think bloodworms might b the reason??

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
They keep betas in those cups so people feel bad for them and they can move their product. IMO.
If you want to see what a beta is all about then give him a tank,some room to move and breathe.It becomes a totally different fish.
Those little cups were thought up by someone who is infatuated with Torture chambers.They are no better than someone in a rubber room or thrown in the hole like in some prison movie. But that is simply my opinion!
All fish need room to swim, filtered heated water, and love!!!:19:

Not that I am trying to start anything with anyone but put yourself in their position!

that 1 guy
10-15-2008, 03:44 PM
yea u do have a good point

AmazingH
10-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I had just written a great deal about why breeders use containers for their bettas, but I've erased it all because I don't want to start something.

The only line I've saved is:

Just because I say I keep my bettas in gallon containers, dosen't mean I don't stimulate their minds. Most of my bettas are trained to go through hoops underwater, and they love having the freedom to investigate pingpong balls, marbles, and mirrors that they play with. They are hand fed, recognize me, and very happy and active fish. They are rotated through a few 2.5Gallons so they are not always in a gallon.
-------------------------
And to the person who asked "who keeps their house at 76"...
when you get to the point where you can't afford to buy more 5.5Gallons, you probably do need to move your bettas into a room that's kept warm and is insulated and change the water everyday.

that 1 guy
10-15-2008, 04:14 PM
well if u breed them then ur not gonna b able 2 put all of them into a tank wit lots of room for them 2 swim around n stuff becuse there gonna be so much of them so ur gonna need 2 put some of them in containers

Northernguy
10-15-2008, 05:49 PM
That was just my opinion and I apologize if I offended anyone!

Different strokes for different strokes!
If we all did everything the exact same way ,it would be boring .

Tell us why you use the jars,is it space?
is it healthier at all?
I would like to know!

AmazingH
10-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Because I have so many.. and because my bettas are always changing number wise.. (I've rescued quite a few) it's financially possible for someone who lives on a $15 a - week allowance!!
I find containers, gallon bowls, and tanks that aren't exactly.. erm.. .normal..
You have to think creative and look around to find deals.
The big spring auction is my town is usually a good place... and sometimes has a few good HMs.. ;-)
I have a few different fish store newsletters that come to my email, and I compare prices every week.
I really like Big Al's because I can get their 2.5 Gallon tanks, (no hood, filter, heater, anything. Just tank) for $10.00 usually including tax.
I have a 5.5Gallon for spawning, but when I'm not using it I house a betta in it (this tank IS filtered and heated).

You just have to be creative!!
And the best part is... you can brag to your friends about your great deals!! :c4: