PDA

View Full Version : In Loving Memory...

shiv
10-13-2008, 04:01 PM
This post is in absolute regret and disapointment over the demise of my Neon Tetra's (12 in number),which were unfortunately fed upon by my Pleco's :(
Condolence messages will be deeply appreciated.
I wonder what went wrong?
1)My pleco's were underfed.
2)They weren't used to small fish like Neon's and just partied on them.
Do let me know if i'm wrong and if there could've been other reasons.
Cheers,
Shiv

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Plecos do not typically feed on live fish, they feed on carrion. Did you actually see the plecos eat live neons? If not then I'd bet they were dead before they were eaten.

shiv
10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
I think they did as they seem to be the only likely candidate as the other fish in my tank are my 12 Discus.
I left home for 6 days and when i got back they had all vanished(no left overs no nothing),just gone......... :(

Lady Hobbs
10-13-2008, 04:11 PM
I agree with GoldenBarb. Did you check your water parmeters? Neon's are good hiders and to loose all of them would indicate something else happened. I would suspect Discus ate them before I would the pleco. Some angels eat neons and some don't as well. Small fish are a gamble.

Were your discus being fed in your absense? If not, they were hungry.

shiv
10-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks you guys for the help....

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I think they did as they seem to be the only likely candidate as the other fish in my tank are my 12 Discus.
I left home for 6 days and when i got back they had all vanished(no left overs no nothing),just gone......... :(

Your Discus likely had the feast. Discus will snack on Neons, especially if they haven't been fed in a couple of days. If you left home for 6 days and they were not being fed, by day 3 they likely got hungary enough to eat Neons. They are cichlids and they have that nature, they are mostly carniverous and given the right conditions will feed themselves on what is available. I lost 20 Neons to 2 Discus in a matter of 1 week. Your Plecos are the least likely candidate.

johnl
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Very unusual for plecos to eat other fish especially neons I would have to agree it was the discuss who had the feast.

Gayle
10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I am sorry for your loss. :(

I really really doubt the Plecos ate them.

BigMac
10-14-2008, 04:38 AM
I have 2.5in well fed Angels eating my Neons. They are the most expensive feeders I have ever bought.
The Cichlid behavior is definetly across the board. If you dont feed them, they will figure something out ;)

angelcakes
10-14-2008, 10:19 AM
plecos will eat other fish but only when there dead
sorry for your loss:ssad: