PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Barb Species Tank?

invadertoast
10-13-2008, 01:31 AM
I've always liked tiger barbs but have been wary of putting them in a community tank. If we ever get our basement cleaned out enough to use as an office, we'll be setting up my empty 20 long down there. After seeing some green tiger barbs at the LFS today, my mom and I are in love - I didn't realize how beatiful they are! Would tigers do okay in a 20 long setup as a species only tank (I keep reading conflicting info) and if so, how many would be a good number? I'm thinking I'll want to do a mix of regular and green tigers.

I wanted to do cherry shrimp and some sort of small tetra in the 20, but I guess I'll wait until I can set up the 15 and use that as my shrimp tank... I must be crazy, I have four empty tanks just waiting to be set up. they've been sitting around for months! Too bad my house is tiny...

smaug
10-13-2008, 01:34 AM
A`2o gal would be great for 10 or so tigers,greens are neat looking but the standards are prettier in the long run imo.

invadertoast
10-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Thanks Smaug! I was thinking 10 would be a good number but I really wasn't sure as I've been seeing anywhere from 6 to 25 in a 20 gallon (25 sounds totally nuts to me!) I love how the plain ol' striped tigers look too, espeically when they're larger. I can't wait to make some space for this!

fins_n_fur
10-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Great idea :18: ! A woman after my own heart...have been wanting to do the same now as well for a bit. When do you think you'll get it set-up? I agree with Smaug, 10 is a good number. I'm aiming for a 30 gallon just to be able to get a few more :hmm3grin2orange:

invadertoast
10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
When do you think you'll get it set-up?

Well, I thought it would be set up a month ago! I'm kind of glad it wasn't because I wouldn't have put tigers in it a month ago, lol! I really have no idea... we never get time to even think about cleaning down there (it's full of someone else's stuff... ugh) but hopefully it will be sooner than later.