PDA

View Full Version : Telescope-Eye Goldfish eye injured - w/ Video

pxl
10-12-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone here is more of an expert than myself regarding this awesome species.

Unfortunately, after returning from the store I noticed almost immediately that my favorite fish had a loose eye. I'm not sure exactly what happened but I'd assume she hit an ornament while swimming.

Although it doesn't look too bad at the moment I'm really concerned. I'd hate to see her lose an eye or for an infection to occur.

I'd like to know if there's anything I can do, will the eye strengthen/stabilize on it's own ? or should I be providing special treatment ? Is my assumption correct about how it occurred or is the cause something else ?

I know it's "just a fish" but man I love this little guy, Can someone help to enlighten me ?

I uploaded the vid to youtube, as you can see one of her eyes is considerably wobbly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaHrFmxpe_M

pxl
10-12-2008, 09:09 AM
After looking into this a bit more I'm thinking this is pop-eye, I'd cleaned the tank a couple days ago and I'd also cranked up the heater which is usually just barely on, and I'm thinking that contributed to my ill fishy :( Stupid me.

I decided to clean the tank again, replacing about 1/3 the water and after setting the heater to it's lowest the water still felt warm so I removed it entirely. I'm aware that goldfish don't need a heated tank but I was concerned about an algae eater I've got, but **** it, I don't care so much about it to lose my other fish.

Anyway, I'm still really concerned about this so any suggestions would be helpful, she's still resting at the bottom of the tank and such.

gm72
10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
A few things:
1. Keeping tropical fish such as the algae eater with a coldwater fish is not good and will cause problems for one of the fish.
2. Not sure as to the cause of the problem, I've never seen such a condition in that type of fish. Here is a good link about the condition if it is indeed pop-eye.
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm
3. It is most definitely not "just a fish." The people here and hopefully yourself included understand that a fish is just like any other pet and deserves our attention and passion just as any other.

Please keep us posted and hopefully we'll get some additional responses here to help out.