PDA

View Full Version : Which cleaner shrimp do u prefer???

xximanoobxx
10-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Post a reply explaining why u prefer (insert shrimp name here)....
If others state what's the shrimp's name...

xximanoobxx
10-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Bump..... :|

Tigerbarb
10-12-2008, 05:35 PM
The Coral Banded shrimp can keep your tank clean and at the same time present a colorful display and give your tank that "saltwater look" or whatever you call it. All the other cleaner shrimps I've seen, IMO, don't look very impressive, and look alot like freshwater shrimps.

kaybee
10-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Just a little clarification in regards to the title of this thread.

"Cleaner shrimp" refers to shrimp which are capable of dedicating effort toward the task of picking off external parasites and dead skin and such from consenting fish; not all of the shrimp listed are in fact "cleaners".

Insane Teen
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I would have picked the skunk cleaner shrimp. They're really cool, and I find it funny how they can crawl on swimming fish, and clean them, very cool shrimp!

xximanoobxx
10-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Just a little clarification in regards to the title of this thread.

"Cleaner shrimp" refers to shrimp which are capable of dedicating effort toward the task of picking off external parasites and dead skin and such from consenting fish; not all of the shrimp listed are in fact "cleaners".

Well, they do clean the tank do they???
Sorry for not clarifying the question...

kaybee
10-12-2008, 10:25 PM
The appropriate context of "cleaner" applies to the cleaning of fish, not the tank.

Cleaner's can fulfill 'scavenger' roles, but their name (as is the case with cleaner wrasses) comes from their behavior of specifically 'cleaning' fish.

Just symantics, really, but also to make the point that cleaner does not equate to scavenger.

cocoa_pleco
10-13-2008, 03:35 AM
i like coral bandeds, but for purely cleaning i like arrow crabs. they clean good

xximanoobxx
10-13-2008, 03:37 AM
are pistol shrimps "cleaners"???

kaybee
10-13-2008, 04:42 AM
No, pistols aren't cleaners, they're symbiotic shrimp due to the relationship they can establish with gobies.

Since the poll question is worded differently than the thread title (the poll asks favorite shrimp), I'd have to go with the sexy shrimp (yep, that's what they're called). I don't have one in my tank because I think my royal gramma might try to eat it (sexy shrimp are less than an inch in size).

labnjab
10-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I like our coral banded, when we get to see it at night. I haven't seen it "clean" our clown, but it has been working away at the bristol worms