PDA

View Full Version : Serious Algae Issues

riot
10-11-2008, 10:29 PM
My entire tank is turning green! The water is a green color and my plants have huge strings of algae all over them. How do I get rid of this algae !! HELP!

It is next to a window but it does not ever get any direct or indirect sunlight. The blinds remain closed and there is no light hitting the windows.

riot
10-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Also the lights I am using are GE ECOLUX 1900lumens, 40watt plant & aquarium lights.

riot
10-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Must be phosphates since I do not have a nitrate issue.

Fishalicious
10-11-2008, 11:04 PM
How long has the tank been up and running? More often than not a new tank will go through a horrendous algae phase with not much reasoning until it settles.

riot
10-11-2008, 11:27 PM
About a month maybe a little less.

Fishalicious
10-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Thought so.. peak algae time...the green water will go away by itself - sometimes pretty quickly other tanks it can take upto a month. Don't mess around with the tank too much by adding anti-algae meds etc. Just keep up waterchanges and remove as much of the stringy stuff as you can by hand.

If you water parameters are fine then the above does happen with new tanks sometimes.

As with everything in the fishy world it is all down to patience :11:

Mvjnz
10-14-2008, 03:58 AM
It would help to get some fast growing plants too. They will suck up the nutritents so algae can't use them.

BigMac
10-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I've got almost the exact same thing going on.
I have a fairly new tank that is just now blooming in green algae.

I went away for a week and my tank came alive. I just whiped the front with a soft cloth and changed a little water.
I was actually happy to see it. I was worried something was wrong when mine didn't come after the first month. It has almost completely replaced the brown diatoms :0

If the fish aren't gulping at the surace there is nothing to worry about.

W_Oz
10-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Also the lights I am using are GE ECOLUX 1900lumens, 40watt plant & aquarium lights.
Those GE EcoLux Plant/Aquarium Bulbs aren't the way to go for a planted tank (IMO). You'll want to get some of the GE EcoLux Daylight 6500K bulbs, that'll also boost your lumen count by quite a bit (3050 lumens each). The Sunshine tubes would also work, however their light output is lower than that of the Daylight tubes.

Anyway, as the Mermaid said, green water and algae central isn't uncommon for a new tank, and in my experience is generally part of the tank start up cycle.

Green water indicates, typically, ammonia and a light problem in an established tank. You'll have to wait it out and keep up on water changes while the algae in the water column does its thing. The hair algae is kinda in the same boat, too many nutrients or something's keeping your macrophytes (plants) from out competing the algae for nutrients (e.g. not enough CO2/NO3/PO4/Potassium/trace elements/Light).

In any event, ride this one out if your water parameters are okay. Eventually your tank will clear up and it'll be all good. I do have concerns about your EcoLux tubes, as I mentioned, and I'd see about changing those up.

riot
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Well, the algae problem is over. A few water changes and cleanings took care of it. As well as some algae be gone I got from LFS. Worked almost over night.

In my 29g I am having a slight buildup of brown algae(diatoms). I've been doing regular water changes on it and it's only gotten worse. Not really bad but worse. The water is crystal clear but the white gravel has quite a few brown spots. Any ideas on how to clear this one up?