PDA

View Full Version : Pleco food

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 02:32 PM
I gave my pleco some spinach and zuccini last night.My Oscars OhOh and Ozzie polished it off in record time.All my pleco gets is a few scraps.
Do you think its enough or should I find another way. I know he gets some flake and bloodworms and I do try and get some shrimp pellets down to him but the Os eat everything that enters the tank!
It doesn't look like his belly is sunk in or anything , I just want him to enjoy a meal once in a while.
Is there any food Os don't like?

Gayle
10-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Do you know where his favorite hiding spot is? You can always sink the food close to, or even in his hiding place. Or create a place where the food can only be reached from the bottom. Like a tunnel with a hole at the top, and just make sure it is only large enough for the pleco to get into. Also feeding the Oscars in a separate area may help distract them while you add some sinking food for the pleco.

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 02:54 PM
The Os don't care where I feed them.They just take whatever they want.I guess I can try putting the food inside the coconut house I made!The Os will probably just flip it over.
I guess its worth a try!:c3:

Gayle
10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Humm. Well what about using some sort of tube, and jamming the food inside of it?

Put your O's in time out. LOL

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 03:24 PM
That sounds like a plan!Hmmm, now I have to find a tube.What I originally wanted was some terracotta shingles.They are shaped like a half cylinder.
Good plan ,now I have find something!:c3:

Gayle
10-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Terracotta shingles...........Maybe a Lowe's or Home Depot?

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 05:29 PM
That would be nice. That is a 2 1/2 hr drive .Gas is down to $1.22/litre.:18:

No I will figure something else out for a tube.Maybe I will try and cut the bottom off a dollar store vase or something along those lines.:c3:

Gayle
10-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Wow 2 1/2 hrs. That is far. LOL I am sure the dollar store has something.

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Me too! If not I am sure to find something.I think I would need or prefer something clear so I can watch.

I like to watch!! :19:

Dave66
10-11-2008, 07:55 PM
NG,
Just put in the food a couple hours after lights out. Oscars sleep, plecos do most of their eating under the cover of darkness. Easy.

Dave

BigMac
10-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Your Oscars ate zuchini!

I have never heard of such a thing. My Oscars never touched it.

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I did feed after lights out and they were sitting still on the far end away from my night light.a As soon as I open the lid they are expecting food.I placed the zuccini and spinach in the bottom of the tank and they went nuts for it .First the spinach and then the zuccini.First time for everything I guess.I found a half a peice of the zuccini this morning.I don't think my pleco even got near it!:c2: