PDA

View Full Version : Ack help cloudy water!

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 03:54 PM
All of my parameters are good (if you want me to post them though I will) in my 10 gallon tank, but since yesterday it has become cloudy. The filter still seems to be perfectly functioning (Whisper 10) but I don't know what the problem is. I've never had this happen before, what could the problem be?

TehTANK
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
IS this a new tank? Did you just do a large water change?

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm currently cycling it and I suppose this is one of those things that happen yes?
I've been reading up on cycling tanks :/

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm currently cycling it and I suppose this is one of those things that happen yes?
I've been reading up on cycling tanks :/

yes. it's going to remain like that for a little while. perfectly normal. just keep an eye on it too.
are you fishless cycling or fishy cycling your tank?

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I've got bettas in there so I'm closely following the levels.
On another betta specific board I go to they said that bettas would be generally ok but to keep a close eye on them.
I've got 8 bettas but this is my first tank bigger than a 2.5 gallon so I'm keeping a close eye on everything and ready to yank them out should any of the levels spike.

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I've got bettas in there so I'm closely following the levels.
On another betta specific board I go to they said that bettas would be generally ok but to keep a close eye on them.
I've got 8 bettas but this is my first tank bigger than a 2.5 gallon so I'm keeping a close eye on everything and ready to yank them out should any of the levels spike.

aparantly you're doing a fishy cycle. your levels will most certainly spike but, i wouldn't suggest taking the bettas out of the tank. just do large water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite at bay.

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Well I just checked the bettas again because I'm a very paranoid mommy.
They're both doing just fine and the levels are still perfect too. *slightly obsessive*
How long can I expect the water to be cloudy for?

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Well I just checked the bettas again because I'm a very paranoid mommy.
They're both doing just fine and the levels are still perfect too. *slightly obsessive*
How long can I expect the water to be cloudy for?

if i remember correctly, my tank was cloudy for a couple weeks during the cycle. i also had extremely high phosphates from my source water which can cause large algae blooms and cloudy water. one of the many reasons i converted to reverse osmosis water through my filter. just be patient! it'll go away in time-jeff

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Damn, patience? Heh I'm not good at that.
But at least the fish are fine and aside from the whatever the heck it is the water parameters are fine, so I guess I have to suffer it being not as pretty.

Hehe thanks for all the advice.

jeffs99dime
01-13-2007, 12:08 AM
Damn, patience? Heh I'm not good at that.
But at least the fish are fine and aside from the whatever the heck it is the water parameters are fine, so I guess I have to suffer it being not as pretty.

Hehe thanks for all the advice.

yeah. patience is the key factor/ attribute in this hobby, job for some. once your tank does go "back to normal" (not cloudy) you will find that your patience ultimately paid off.--jeff