PDA

View Full Version : how do I clean sand?

OwnerOfPhil
10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
I'm about to order Este's marine sand, but then I just had the thought, how am I supposed to clean it? should I get an underground filter?

fins_n_fur
10-10-2008, 11:02 PM
No, I would not get an under gravel filter. The beauty of sand is that it compacts somewhat meaning that fish poo, uneaten food, plant bits, etc. tend to sit on the top. When you siphon or vacuum, if you are careful and hold the vacuum just above the sand it all gets sucked up without disturbing the substrate. You will want to occasionally gently stir and turn the sand, however to prevent pockets of unaerobic bacteria from forming.

OwnerOfPhil
10-10-2008, 11:22 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: THANKS!!

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 02:11 AM
Under gravel filters are really not that neccesary and thet are a lot of work to clean out if you ever have a problem.
If you ever have fry in your tank they will get in there.You will be lucky to get them out alive.
As for the sand you can check out this sight or put it in a bucket over top of the hose and gently turn it on and let it run.Let the debris flow out and when it stops empty most of the water out and put it in your tank!

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/aquarium_setup_list.php

Good luck and post some pics when your done!:19:

Mvjnz
10-11-2008, 07:44 AM
I've heard undergravel filters don't work with sand anyway, you'd need gravel for that.

OwnerOfPhil
10-11-2008, 11:31 PM
see I don't know anything about this kind of filter anyways, never heard of it actully until someone sujested I use one, he didnt know I was using sand though. I went and bought 80lbs today! I want to clean the tank and put the sand in monday (do I have to rinse the sand or something? I'll look it up, just came to me) and then start cycling the tank. does anyone know where I can get some ammonia? just a bottle of it or something. I heard you can cycle the tank before ever putting fish in it from some web site (can't remember name) buy just puting ammonia in it, and checking up on the nitrites but when I went to the local pet store and asked for it the fish guy kinda looked at me funny.

OwnerOfPhil
10-11-2008, 11:34 PM
Under gravel filters are really not that neccesary and thet are a lot of work to clean out if you ever have a problem.
If you ever have fry in your tank they will get in there.You will be lucky to get them out alive.
As for the sand you can check out this sight or put it in a bucket over top of the hose and gently turn it on and let it run.Let the debris flow out and when it stops empty most of the water out and put it in your tank!

and thanks for the site! it's got some really helpful stuff on there

jlennon
10-11-2008, 11:38 PM

Northernguy thanx a bunch for this link. I checked it out and there is some great info there.

MrJim
10-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Regarding sand for goldfish:

Mine like to pick up the small gravel and spit them out~~do they fool around with the sand like that?

Northernguy
10-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Anytime both!!:19:

Goldfish like most hungry fish will taste just about anything to see if its food. The reason IMO that they try the gravel is becuse thats where it all ends up!
Yes, they will do the same with sand .:c3:

MrJim
10-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Anytime both!!:19:

Goldfish like most hungry fish will taste just about anything to see if its food. The reason IMO that they try the gravel is becuse thats where it all ends up!
Yes, they will do the same with sand .:c3:

:c1: Thanks!