PDA

View Full Version : So.....

kes
01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
I wake up this morning, turn on the tank lights to find one of my 'butter wouldn't melt in his mouth' Sajica cichlids wandering around with a little neon flapping out the side of his mouth..So much for being 'small mouthed cichlids!' He looked like an aquatic Groucho Marx..

The little fella was beyond redemption so I rescued him and did the freezer euthanasia, bless his heart.

I'm keeping a serious eye on the Sajica in case he fancies snacking on another bit of neon candy in the future.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen in the day cos the tetras are so bright and shoal together.. Why do they go dark and all split up at night? I know he's my little favourite and can do no wrong, but I'm sure this is a case of mistaken identity and he just thought it was a rather large bit of algae wafer or summat...

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 03:06 PM
I wake up this morning, turn on the tank lights to find one of my 'butter wouldn't melt in his mouth' Sajica cichlids wandering around with a little neon flapping out the side of his mouth..So much for being 'small mouthed cichlids!' He looked like an aquatic Groucho Marx..

The little fella was beyond redemption so I rescued him and did the freezer euthanasia, bless his heart.

I'm keeping a serious eye on the Sajica in case he fancies snacking on another bit of neon candy in the future.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen in the day cos the tetras are so bright and shoal together.. Why do they go dark and all split up at night? I know he's my little favourite and can do no wrong, but I'm sure this is a case of mistaken identity and he just thought it was a rather large bit of algae wafer or summat...

this just goes to prove the point that ALL CICHLIDS CAN BE AGGRESSIVE AT ANY TIME! this should be made a sticky in the cichlid section. sorry to hear about the neon! --jeff

Abbeys_Mom
01-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry for the loss of you tetra. At least he didn't get digested. I think most fiah turn off their colours at night, saves energy maybe. There would be no point in showing off if no one can see you :)

kes
01-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I have a shoal of 7 (well, 6 now) I don't know if they're safer in larger numbers? I bet he got caught out just before they grouped up in the morning. I think this must be a danger period for them.

I was very sad for my poor little tetra, but I must admit I was also worried my naughty cichlid may have choked on the tetra too, as I know my friend lost two of his bigger fish choking on 'ditherers'...

Incredulous_Ed
01-12-2007, 08:25 PM
sorry to hear about the neon. is your tank heavily planted? most neons like to hide in plants

Severus
01-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry about your loss. My clown loaches all go their seperate ways at night as well. Then they join up when morning/light comes on.

kes
01-13-2007, 11:14 AM
sorry to hear about the neon. is your tank heavily planted? most neons like to hide in plants

Yes, there's plenty of plants in there.. In the morning I tend to find them behind the rocks and then they gradually group up..the rest of them seem alright this morning - phew!

Nautilus291
01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
good to here that you didnt loose another fish today. do you feed him live food. I heard that some fish turn aggresive after you feed them live foods.

kes
01-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I feed them some daphnia very occasionally but haven't done this week..

I've noticed this morning that one of my Opaline Gouramis 'tendrils' is suspiciously short.. hmmm..this could be my Rosy Barbs though..they're right so and so's for fin nipping. I haven't got anything too fancy in there for that reason.

I'm surprised that they leave the Bolivian Rams alone - maybe they know not to mess with them. A lot of websites say they're very timid cichlids but I find my two stick up for themselves quite well.

I do hope this is a one off for my Sajicas, they're such cute fish and I've completely fallen in love with them! :luxlove:

Sasquatch
01-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the neon, but it happens. Just try to keep the Sajica well fed and this shouldn't be a problem.

As for the coloration, I've found that the neons colors react to light. We had some on our first attempt with an aquarium. Once, when we left for the weekend, we left the light off. When we came back the neons looked like crap, we thought they were sick or something.

We turned the lights back on and by the end of the day, they were back to normal coloration again. There seems to be some kind interaction between the light and the coloration, like it stimulates it or something.