PDA

View Full Version : OMG...I'm a moron!!!

holbritter
01-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Just for kicks, I checked out the volume calculator.

All along I thought my hex was a 55g. It has 6 sides that are 11.5" width and is 22" high.

According to the calculator, what I have is a 37.79 gallon tank!

Please don't ask how I could confuse the sizes by sight....cause I just don't know. This tank was given to me. I feel like a complete idiot (mainly because I am!)

So, the big questions are.......what now?

My filter is for a 70g (thinking a little extra won't hurt...but that much?)
My heater is a 200w
I put 50lbs of sand in it, and was basing my stock on 55g.

What...if anything....do I need to do? I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a new filter or anything.

**smacks forehead** What an amature!

kimmers318
01-12-2007, 02:05 PM
You will be fine overfiltering....don't worry about that. I would imagine as long as the thermostat on the heater works right that should be fine too. Make sure you aren't overstocked and continue to do your proper water maintenance and all should be fine. Many people over filter by double the volume of their tanks.....if they have a 20 gal they use filters rated for a 40gal or 2 rated for 20 gal.
If you are overstocked, don't panic there.....watch water parameters, increase water changes and maintenance if needed.....and monitor fish for issues.

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM
You will be fine overfiltering....don't worry about that. I would imagine as long as the thermostat on the heater works right that should be fine too. Make sure you aren't overstocked and continue to do your proper water maintenance and all should be fine. Many people over filter by double the volume of their tanks.....if they have a 20 gal they use filters rated for a 40gal or 2 rated for 20 gal.
If you are overstocked, don't panic there.....watch water parameters, increase water changes and maintenance if needed.....and monitor fish for issues.

you're actually NOT overfiltering. with my 55g tank i have 2 filters (one canister and one h.o.b.) i am a firm believer in having as much filtration in a tank without causing a hurricane, so to speak lol! generally, manufacturers "amp" up the specifications of what their filters can flow. a good rule of thumb is cut the mfg's flow rate in half:thumb:

Glasstapper
01-12-2007, 08:28 PM
don't feel so bad. I did the same thing when I got my 45. I was told by the previous owner that is was a 55, so I just took her word for it. I found out when I did my first water change and I was like "Huh. That looks like a lot more than just 30%". Heh. Good thing I hadn't stocked up yet.

holbritter
01-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Glad I'm not the only one.

Do you think I'm fully stocked now? I really wanted a few cory cats for the bottom, but now am not to sure.

With the "inch per gallon" rule (which I know isn't always correct) I would be up to 23 gallons I think. Based on 2" for each tetra, 2" for each gourami and 1.5" for each danio.

Incredulous_Ed
01-12-2007, 11:30 PM
You could safely put in a couple of corys as ling as you keep up with the water changes.

Cichlid_Man
01-13-2007, 12:30 AM
Your tank will be absolutely fine even with a few more fish.

I actually have a filter rated at 70 gallons on my 30 gallon, and the water is so clear, it hurts the eyes.

The extra sand is no issue.
Your tank will tell you if you need to increase water changes, but I think your are OK...

Just check ammonia levels weekly and do normal maintenance.

holbritter
01-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks all. I'm relieved I didn't screw things up too bad!

What I'm thinking I'll do is get another 20 gallon (all I can afford right now) and when it's ready, transfer the 2 baby gouramis in it. Then I'll put some dwarf cory cats in both.

psst...plus it gives me a great excuse to get another tank! :ezpi_wink1:

I tell ya...I'm hooked on this!