PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm just overreacting... Opinions please!

BettaSei
10-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Poseidon, my betta, was laying on the bottom of his tank when I got home this evening. I've never seen him do that before. I had to move his tank because a paper I needed fell behind it, and he moved around and seemed fine... and acted normal for a few minutes, and I thought he was fine.

Then I went back after about 10 minutes, and he was back in the same spot on the bottom of the tank.

Do I need to be worried? Am I over reacting? He's just such an active Betta and is always moving or in his favorite hiding place. And I can't see him in there, but he'll come out when I call him (sooo cute!)... He's never that listless as he was when I went in there....

Fishalicious
10-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Do you have a heater in the tank? Some Betta's get listless when it get's colder... others just sometimes have a 'chill out' day as they get older... I see mine often snoozing sometimes even head down first between the plants or above the substrate.

BettaSei
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
He's still a very young fish.

I don't have a heater, but I checked the temperature of the water thinking it was the temperature, but it's in it's normal range between 75-80.... I keep a thermometer in the tank.

CAllain
10-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I'd personally say the minimum for a betta is around 80... 75 would be a bit too cold for them.

Otherwise, bettas sometimes do just like to snooze - we had one who enjoyed lying up against the filter. Half the time we'd think he was dead until he moved :|

Holyvision
10-10-2008, 12:28 PM
Eat, Sleep, Kill other males. What a life!

Gayle
10-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Sounds like he was just having a nap. You probably woke him when you moved the tank. I do think 75 is to cool for a Betta to thrive, they will get listless under 75. Just keep an eye on him, if anything else seems odd let us know.

Mvjnz
10-10-2008, 01:39 PM
When mine acted lazy one day it turned out he had white spot, but I didn't spot it until the next day because the light in the tank wasn't very good. But when he sat just under the light it was pretty obvious...

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Probably just too cold,a heater would be a good investment!:c3:

BettaSei
10-10-2008, 05:02 PM
I want to get him a heater - I just currently have no money... Have to pay for school first...

Thank you all for your comments. When I went to feed him he was up and begging... He was his normal vicious self as soon as I dropped a little bit of food in.

I think I was overreacting a little, he just never rested there in the open. He always hid when he wasn't real active... I am keeping an eye on him today. I'm just soo nervous I guess... He's like my kid...

Honestly, I'm really thankful for you guys right now. I was telling one of my friends about what he did, and she said "so? It's just a fish." I was floored that she could just say that... how could she not understand, he's not just a fish....

Gayle
10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I know exactly what you mean, one of my so called friends told me I was crazy because I made a my space page about my fish. I guess it just takes a special sort of person to understand how we feel about our finned friends.

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Do you have a lamp with a bulb that throws heat.Place it beside your tank,it will help a little.

Kayla-Bug
10-11-2008, 02:02 AM
I would just get a small heater for him. They sell mini heaters at petco and petsmart for under $10. If that's not it then don't worry about it. Every betta gets lazy every once in a while lol.

BettaSei
10-11-2008, 05:03 AM
I found him laying in the EXACT same spot when I got home again today... He didn't move when I picked up the food like he normally does, but when I turned off the first light in the bathroom, he swam up and went to his hiding place.

I'm worried about him. I'm going to go look into those mini heaters this weekend Kayla....

Kayla-Bug
10-11-2008, 05:33 AM
That may make him perk up again if you get him some heat. For the time being try and get a light close to his tank to heat the water up a bit. The one I got at petco is a Jr Aquatics brand or something like that. It would be wonderful if you could find an adjustable one for small tanks... if only, lol. Good luck and he should hold out until you get him a heater, Bettas are hardy fish.

BettaSei
10-13-2008, 03:31 AM
I moved a lamp next to him, and he perked up a little. I also gave him some extra attention - I had been lacking a little lately due to too much to do - and he seems a lot better.

Thank you so much everyone!

Kayla-Bug
10-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Glad he's starting to perk up, and keep us updated!!!