PDA

View Full Version : Other fish with betta

SpaceBison
10-10-2008, 02:57 AM
I have a 5.5g and I got 2 live plants, other decor, and a betta. I already had 4 ghost shimp in there. I was was wonder if the betta would eat the shrimp or not? And could I get some cories because I've heard they are good betta tank mates?

teach
10-10-2008, 03:24 AM
My betta ate my shrimp and I have also heard about corys and bettas getting along.

cocoa_pleco
10-10-2008, 03:43 AM
IMO 15g minimum for all but pygmy cories

Fishalicious
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
The tank is too small to add anything else... some betta's eat shrimp and others don't - it depends on their aggression and taste buds. I had one betta devour at least 20 shrimp in a week and the betta we have at the moment is swimming amongst 30 cherries that are happily breeding along side him.

angelcakes
10-10-2008, 07:00 AM
IMO 15g minimum for all but pygmy cories

The tank is too small to add anything else... some betta's eat shrimp and others don't - it depends on their aggression and taste buds. I had one betta devour at least 20 shrimp in a week and the betta we have at the moment is swimming amongst 30 cherries that are happily breeding along side him.

i agree with what both are saying here, ive a 10g with a divider for 2 males there is shrimp only 2 in with them but once theres decor in the tank theres no room for anything else

Mvjnz
10-10-2008, 07:08 AM
And there's no guarantee that the betta will get along with them. Most prolly do, but then you have the extremely aggressive bettas which won't allow any other fish in there.

If you do go for it, you need a fine sand substrate, and should get either pygmy cories or salt and pepper cories, as they are the only ones which might be happy in a tank that small.

Hope you have a good filter tho, cuz you'll need it with that amount of fish in such a small tank.

SpaceBison
10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
yea I have a 10g filter on the 5.5g

justyn725
10-11-2008, 03:17 PM
My betta pretty much likes the top and middle areas of the tank...but mainly the top...and all my cories like the bottom unless they shoot to the top for fun...but yea, they get along. Then again, mine is a female betta too.

SpaceBison
10-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah I have a ship and the betta stays in that

LosC
10-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Get snails, nothing else in that 5g.

wolf_eyes
10-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Yea a 5 gallon is a really nice area for one betta. It gives him room to swim around and be active, but putting anything else in a tank that size might be bad.

I have a betta with some cories and, for the first few days they were fine, but recently my betta has been chasing them around and flaring aggressively at them, especially at food time. My cories have room to run away from him but in a 5 gallon any other fish or other creatures may not be able to get away.

dixipixi32
10-14-2008, 07:54 PM
I keep a dwarf african clawed frog with my betta in a 5 gallon hex tank....they seem to enjoy eachother actually!