PDA

View Full Version : I got my new cichlid! (pics)

Glasstapper
01-12-2007, 02:44 AM
So I walked into my LFS today and looked around for some convicts. When I couldn't find any, I went chat with the owner (great guy). He said he wouldn't be getting any more convicts for another couple of weeks, but he did have some other tankmates that would be compatible with my tank. (He and I discuss my tank everytime I go in there, so he knows it as well as I do! LOL)

So there were these really cool pearl convicts, but they were too skittish for me. Want to know what really caught my eye? I just about dropped my jaw when I saw him. An electric blue jack dempsey! The owner said he would get a little larger than my salvini, but he would be ok in my as long as he and the salvini would be the only cichlids, lots of hiding places and territories, and the tiger barbs. I said I wasn't planning on any more, so it works out perfect. This guy has been keeping fish since he was a little kid, and now he has his own store, so I trust his word over articles I find on the internet any day.

Anyway, here's the gorgeous (and whoa expensive!) electric blue jack dempsey. pictures aren't the greatest, but once he settles in more, I'll have lots of opportunities to snap photos. He's already behaving like king of the tank, and he's half the size of the salvini.

Drumachine09
01-12-2007, 02:47 AM
gorgeous looking fish.

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 03:29 AM
So I walked into my LFS today and looked around for some convicts. When I couldn't find any, I went chat with the owner (great guy). He said he wouldn't be getting any more convicts for another couple of weeks, but he did have some other tankmates that would be compatible with my tank. (He and I discuss my tank everytime I go in there, so he knows it as well as I do! LOL)

So there were these really cool pearl convicts, but they were too skittish for me. Want to know what really caught my eye? I just about dropped my jaw when I saw him. An electric blue jack dempsey! The owner said he would get a little larger than my salvini, but he would be ok in my as long as he and the salvini would be the only cichlids, lots of hiding places and territories, and the tiger barbs. I said I wasn't planning on any more, so it works out perfect. This guy has been keeping fish since he was a little kid, and now he has his own store, so I trust his word over articles I find on the internet any day.

Anyway, here's the gorgeous (and whoa expensive!) electric blue jack dempsey. pictures aren't the greatest, but once he settles in more, I'll have lots of opportunities to snap photos. He's already behaving like king of the tank, and he's half the size of the salvini.

very, very, nice glasstapper!

Abbeys_Mom
01-12-2007, 03:33 AM
gorgeous looking fish.
Some one stole my line. Line stealer!

Glasstapper
01-12-2007, 04:22 AM
thanks, guys. I hope I made the right choice and my $8 salvini doesn't kill my $60 jack dempsey. That would make glasstapper a very sad girl.

*crosses fingers*

Severus
01-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Congratulations! He/she looks awesome. Just be careful and make sure your water parameters are good because i have heard the EBJD's can be sensitive to water conditions. More so than a regular jack. Good luck with him!

jman
01-13-2007, 02:22 AM
that's a good one the ones at my store cost to much for the condition they are in. They picked the worst tank and put the electric blue jack dempsey's in it anyway congrads mate!

blue fin
01-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Beautiful fish....

Nautilus291
01-13-2007, 05:19 AM
thats a nice looking fish. congrats!

deckard_wa
01-13-2007, 11:07 AM
LOL........ A Salvini named Jack and a Jack named Sal. I love it!!!!

Glasstapper
01-14-2007, 02:34 AM
thanks, guys! And the name picks were by our clever members here at AC.

:)

Drumachine09
01-14-2007, 04:07 AM
We are just that clever

Severus
01-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Everyone here at AC is very clever! lol

deckard_wa
01-16-2007, 11:50 AM
My JD is named Jack and my Salvini is named Sal !!!!

Wish I had more imagination.............:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice fish glasstapper. He will be one handsome man.

Glasstapper
01-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Thanks, hobbs. I'm starting to think I got a female, though. The fins are more rounded than pointed, so maybe she'll be a very pretty lady? LOL

Wait.....can a girl be called Sal? O_o