PDA

View Full Version : Angels Eating Habbits??

BigMac
10-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I, many years ago had an Angel fish. I do not remember that fish acting this way. The new fish I got ( small pair of marbled) pick at my plants.
There not just picking to see if stuff will come off to eat. They are picking off pieces of leaves to the point my plant is coming apart.
They are mostly doing it to a bulb plant that looks alot like bermuda grass but big.
They also pick at my swords, but not tearing them up.

They do this even after they have been fed.

Wierd stuff that fish do...

fins_n_fur
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
If it's a pair, they may be picking (cleaning) a spot for some eggs :hmm3grin2orange:

BigMac
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
God, I hope not! They are only about 2.5 in.

fins_n_fur
10-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Don't be surprised to find eggs somewhere soon :hmm3grin2orange:

Fishalicious
10-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Yip plant pruning and ripping/cleaning is a good indiciation of Angels looking for a place to breed..the leaf has to be sturdy enough to hold the weight which is why they rip it to test it...

I once had a baby angel start breeding at 5 months old....started with tiny little amounts of eggs (30-40) in the younger days and now as an adult lays hundreds

BigMac
10-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I guess anyhting is possible.
I've only had them a week.
I guess I could be flattered thay like their tank so much.

These two are connected at the hip.

fins_n_fur
10-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Possibly little worries on fry,though. They take a while to get the process figured out. I have a pair I have had for 7 months or so and they spawn about every 14 or 21 days...no fry as of yet.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Its a drag when they start picking your favorite plants apart and its just for a practice run:c2:

Got any pics yet!:c3:

BigMac
10-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I do have some pics.

I have to resize them and find a host to post them from.

I want to take some more pics too because my tank has changed since I first took pics.

I promise I will post some pics before I leave this weekend.

BigMac
10-10-2008, 02:36 AM
Here is the plant they seem to be focusing on.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/515/medium/chewed_plant.jpg

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 03:06 AM
It sure looks healthy :c3: I don't think they will tear them apart .Hopefully they will remember which plant was best without doing the nip test!

Fishalicious
10-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Classic egg laying plant for angels...they will always look for a plant with large surface - usually it is an amazon sword etc. they choose...

I reckon you are definately looking at eggs soon.... their behaviour will tell you when it is time...they will start to chase the other fish away from the area they have chosen :11:

Lady Hobbs
10-10-2008, 08:39 AM
You might try to stick a piece of pvc pipe in your tank or a piece of slate and they may leave the plant alone. Put it in an upright position. I'm surprised they aren't cleaning that wood you have there.

BigMac
10-10-2008, 01:28 PM
They were picking at the driftwood, but they have stopped.

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I hope you get lots of eggs ther BigMac! Unless you aren't prepared for few hundred extra A's!:c3:

Is MTS knocking on your door yet! :19:

BigMac
10-10-2008, 09:24 PM
If these two end up being a breeding pair, I'll get to setup a second, even bigger, aquarium! After all, the Angels were my wifes idea... I do have a 60 just sitting around ;)

fins_n_fur
10-10-2008, 09:34 PM
How can you be normal and just have a 60 gallon sitting around? I'd be itching to get that set-up, planted, and stocked :hmm3grin2orange:

BigMac
10-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Im still a little sensitive about the grand I have in the 55.

I am picky about the equipment. The tank needs some scratching removed and the lights overhauled.

I was actually giving the tank to a very old friend that is moving back to CA from FL and cannot bring her tank.

Not to worry... the biggest reason this 60 does not get set up, I want a much larger tank. 55, 60.. small tanks. 10 is only for temporary hospital type treatment.

I want a 135 or better. I was looking at setups that are two feet deep and 2.5 wide and 7 feet long.. That would make a super cool walk around built in island in my house ;)

fins_n_fur
10-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Fair enough..I still have not added up what I have spent on my 120 g, even though I got good deals on most of the kit. It's far too frightening a thought LOL Liking the idea of the 135 g island...and that is planned for when? BTW, I like the way you think :hmm3grin2orange:

BigMac
10-10-2008, 09:58 PM
There is a wall between my dining room and living room that does not go to the ceiling. I want to take most of it down and make the tank and cabinet be the deviding wall. 7 foot is about the right length..

I've been trying to talk my wife into this for about 1 year now.
I start by saying lets put a plasma TV there... she always says no so I sugest an aquarium ;)

The problem is she made me promise not to go crazy again.
I had ALOT of tanks going at one time. My appartment electricity bill was 300+ dollars more than 12 years ago.. when 300 dollars was actually alot of money :14:

fins_n_fur
10-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Oh, my, that sounds incredibly awesome--I'm jealous--that could so be an incredble tank. I think if you keep using "lets" and "we" you might just get there. Did you agree and promise? LOL Any chance to convince her to join you in on the hobby? Maybe plants could be her thing, and fish yours? I hear you on the 300 bucks...doesn't seem like much for what you get nowadays.