PDA

View Full Version : trying to figure out how to build a pond

OwnerOfPhil
10-09-2008, 12:39 AM
One of my teachers at school wants a fish pond and I BEGGED him to let me help. He said he'd put me in charge of figuring out how to do it but their's so much about it I'm pretty sure I'd mess up. I was just wondering how some of you guys started and if I should get some professional help.

I have few questions...if he goes koi, say, 6 or less, (with a 700-1000gal pond or so) are skimmers and filters and pumps and stuff all nessisary? does it require underground pipe systems? are goldfish easier to keep?

Mvjnz
10-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Goldfish are easier in the sense that they don't get as big as koi and so don't produce quite as much waste.

You do need a filter, and I would highly recommend an external one (I have an internal one which needs cleaning once a week) and I do recommend a bottom drain.

You could get away with doing it without those 2 things, and just use a good internal filter like I'm doing, but just be aware that I rather regret not doing it properly in the first place. It's a bigger hassle to make it, but it will function better.

OwnerOfPhil
10-09-2008, 11:51 PM
is a filter the same as a 'skimmer'? what do you use the bottom drain for and how often? also, how did you learn about how to set up a pond??? that's what I'd like to know, how people get into it. I suppose I could seek out people who have them around where I live or join the local koi pond club, do you recommend that I do that? It's just that this is a big thing because it won't be my pond, it's my 75-year-old teacher's, I want to do everything right!

smaug
10-10-2008, 12:27 AM
I recomend you go to Tetras web site and check out there directions for it.It can be a fairly difficult job and you will need more info then you can gleen here.I would type out all the steps in order but I just dont have the time I used to have.Good luck and keep us posted!

Mvjnz
10-10-2008, 01:41 AM
The bottom drain has a pipe which goes to the filter, so the water is pumped from the bottom of the pond to the external filter which then sends it back to the pond after filtering it.

I would suggest you google how to build a pond and read multiple sites on the subject.

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Here is one site that might help!
Good luck with your project and your hehe marks this year!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

http://www.buildyourownpond.biz/index.html

smaug
10-10-2008, 10:00 PM
The bottom drain has a pipe which goes to the filter, so the water is pumped from the bottom of the pond to the external filter which then sends it back to the pond after filtering it.

I would suggest you google how to build a pond and read multiple sites on the subject.
Having a bottom drain would be conveniant for fast water drainage but the absolute last word in proper pond filtration is a skimmer.The reason being ,for outside ponds the biggest source for contamination is through what blows into and falls into the water such as leaves ,grass trimmings etc.The skimmer removes all that before it sinks,it also keeps a good surface movement which is highly beneficial to aeration.Most quality skimmers also incorparate biological filtration media,when used with a waterfall the combination is great.

OwnerOfPhil
10-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I recomend you go to Tetras web site and check out there directions for it.It can be a fairly difficult job and you will need more info then you can gleen here.I would type out all the steps in order but I just dont have the time I used to have.Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for the site!! that was really helpful and I typed up all the steps. Dr. Reboli said he would hire a pond person as well, so I am going to check out the local dudes. I'm starting to figure this out, all I need to find out is how these drain pipes work, where they connect to, and about skimmers too, then I'll be in good shape, I can talk to the pond people for that also I guess, thanks for your help everyone!!:1luvu:

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Anytime ,sounds like a great project.
You should take notes and lots of pics as the build progresses!:c3:
It would make a great continuous thread!:19:

Mvjnz
10-11-2008, 06:28 AM
I don't think a skimmer is that important when you consider the fish' natural habitat. The water isn't crystal clear and there will be stuff on the surface and a thee bottom. I personally think fish feel safer in water which isn't completely clear and which has stuff on the surface blocking some of the light, whether it be floating plants or debris.

If you have a bottom drain the twigs and grass on the surface won't last long anyway, they just sink to the bottom and are then filtered out.

So I think if you have a bottom drain you don't need a skimmer, and if you have a skimmer you don't need quite as strong filtration.

smaug
10-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't think a skimmer is that important when you consider the fish' natural habitat. The water isn't crystal clear and there will be stuff on the surface and a thee bottom. I personally think fish feel safer in water which isn't completely clear and which has stuff on the surface blocking some of the light, whether it be floating plants or debris.

If you have a bottom drain the twigs and grass on the surface won't last long anyway, they just sink to the bottom and are then filtered out.

So I think if you have a bottom drain you don't need a skimmer, and if you have a skimmer you don't need quite as strong filtration.
The fish's natural habitat [if koi and comets were natural] would be a 10 million gallon lake where filtration happens on a much grander scale then our little outside puddles.Like it or not skimmers are the only way to insure the clean environment that will keep our micro environments pristine.Besides that,with a bottom drain as with any drain,introduce enough debris to it and it will clog,not maybe,,,,,will clog.
As for the keeping our little fishy friends happy in an outside pond,good cover includes lily pads,floating plants and other non polluting items,not sticks,grass and twigs.
your on the right track,just thinking in the wrong level of the pond.
and realistically a bottom drain isnt really for filtration its for ease of drainage.

Mvjnz
10-11-2008, 03:12 PM
They originated from a natural fish, and so even if they look different they still have fishy instincts and are happier in a more natural pond.

In the diagrams I looked at when I made my pond it showed a pipe going from the drain directly to the filter. So it's for filtration in a lot of the cases I've seen.

Using it to drain a pond wouldn't work here, because our garden is mostly clay, and the water would just sit there, even without a liner. So I would never get a bottom drain for draining purposes.

smaug
10-11-2008, 05:34 PM
They originated from a natural fish, and so even if they look different they still have fishy instincts and are happier in a more natural pond.

In the diagrams I looked at when I made my pond it showed a pipe going from the drain directly to the filter. So it's for filtration in a lot of the cases I've seen.

Using it to drain a pond wouldn't work here, because our garden is mostly clay, and the water would just sit there, even without a liner. So I would never get a bottom drain for draining purposes.
Im really not trying to blow your suggestion out of the water for fun.The truth is that a bottom drain/outflow is to loaded with problems to be used efficiently,the clogging issue alone is enough of a reason to not use one,then you get into the difficultys of maintaining all the undeground,inaccesible plumbing.I addressed the fishes need for cover and natural structure with lily pads and other floating plants.The biggest concern for pond fish is cleanliness of there water the same as it would be for aquarium fish a skimmer addresses that far better then other set ups.

OwnerOfPhil
10-11-2008, 11:22 PM

do bottom drains connect back to the fountain then? that sounds good to have one or the other, and since you can't get everything before it sinks then maybe the drain would be better for Doc. he can always take a pool net to it if it starts too look too messy I guess.

I'll keep you posted on this, nothing's happening so far, next week I'm going to take a sketch of his yard and we're going to figure out the shape and size too.