PDA

View Full Version : Fishless Cycle with Biospira?

gourami*girl
10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
So as some of you know, I'm recycling my tank using the fishless method. I've been at it a little over a week now and have not seen any decrease in the ammonia levels or increase in the nitrites. My ammonia (added pure ammonia to tank) is at 4 ppm and nitrites are at 0. Temperature is at 86 degrees F. I do not know anyone with a tank that I could get some seasoned gravel from.

My question is: is it possible to use a starter culture like Biospira while doing a fishless cycle to speed things up a bit (maybe the area I am from doesn't have that many nitrifying bacteria floating around?)

Thanks!

Sharon
10-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I know people who have had good results with BioSpira. I've never seen it here, but if you can get your hands on some, I'd give it a go.

oldhead
10-09-2008, 02:57 AM
I used the Biospira once several moths ago. I had great success with it, try it out if you can get your hands on some.

xximanoobxx
10-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Biospira is like an instant cycle thinger meaning u can add fish right away...

korith
10-09-2008, 03:30 AM
Biospira is like an instant cycle thinger meaning u can add fish right away...

That sounds something like Nutrafin makes, it's called "cycle". I didn't buy it, was like 7 bucks a bottle! Is it comparable to biospira?

gourami*girl
10-09-2008, 01:35 PM
From what I have read Biospira is actually a better product that Cycle is but is a similar idea.

My LFS does carry Biospira :19: so I'll probably pick it up and give it a shot! Encouraging to hear that it worked for others.

Even if it is a little on the pricey side, I think it's better than waiting forever to see if the bacteria will ever colonize (I'm sure they will eventually, I'm just impatient :c3: )

Thanks for the input!

fins_n_fur
10-09-2008, 02:02 PM
If memory serves, like anothe poster has mentioned, you use BioSpira with fish. So both at the same time--nice, as you can get some fishies now! And, you'll want to do a large water change first.

gourami*girl
10-09-2008, 05:05 PM
If memory serves, like anothe poster has mentioned, you use BioSpira with fish. So both at the same time--nice, as you can get some fishies now! And, you'll want to do a large water change first.

From what I understood, Biospira does not actually give you an "instant cycle" but dramatically reduces it to a week or less b/c the seeded bacteria still need to grow up.

I was planning to add Biospira, continue feeding Ammonia to keep the level at around 1 - 2 ppm, and add fish once the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 for a few days. Would this not work? Is there a necessity to add fish with Biospira?

kaybee
10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
From what I understood, Biospira does not actually give you an "instant cycle" but dramatically reduces it to a week or less b/c the seeded bacteria still need to grow up. I was planning to add Biospira, continue feeding Ammonia to keep the level at around 1 - 2 ppm, and add fish once the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 for a few days. Would this not work? Is there a necessity to add fish with Biospira?

Bio-Spira can provide an instant or near-instant cycle IF the product and fish are added at the same time in a tank containing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite.

When Bio-Spira is added to tanks with detectable ammonia or nitrite it has to play 'catch up'. For example, in uncycled tanks with 4ppm+ of ammonia, nitrite and fish in the tank (continuously producing these toxins) Bio-Spira will take a while to 'kick in'.

But your particular situation, Bio-Spira can be used to build a larger beneficial bacteria colony, but can also be used immediately (in an set up with no detectable levels of ammonia/nitrite) simultaneously with the addition to fish.

Feeding the bacteria and then ceasing the ammonia source "once the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 for a few days" actually risks (in my opinion) the bacteria. Without a constant ammonia/nitrite source, die off will incrementally occur (defeating the whole purpose of using this product).

If levels are at 1 or 2ppm. Add the fish the same day levels become undetectable. Better yet, add fish when the system is able to process 3-4ppm ammonia and nitrite within a 24hr period.

gourami*girl
10-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Bio-Spira can provide an instant or near-instant cycle IF the product and fish are added at the same time in a tank containing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite.

When Bio-Spira is added to tanks with detectable ammonia or nitrite it has to play 'catch up'. For example, in uncycled tanks with 4ppm+ of ammonia, nitrite and fish in the tank (continuously producing these toxins) Bio-Spira will take a while to 'kick in'.

But your particular situation, Bio-Spira can be used to build a larger beneficial bacteria colony, but can also be used immediately (in an set up with no detectable levels of ammonia/nitrite) simultaneously with the addition to fish.

Feeding the bacteria and then ceasing the ammonia source "once the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 for a few days" actually risks (in my opinion) the bacteria. Without a constant ammonia/nitrite source, die off will incrementally occur (defeating the whole purpose of using this product).

If levels are at 1 or 2ppm. Add the fish the same day levels become undetectable. Better yet, add fish when the system is able to process 3-4ppm ammonia and nitrite within a 24hr period.

Humm, Maybe I'll just add the fish the next or same day, then. I was worried that the ammonia would not be immediately converted until the bacteria grew and colonized and so the fish would suffer. Good to hear that it actually does work that fast, I'm never sure about what the manufacturers say, so it's good to hear from someone else. :c2: If I added around 6 harlequin rasboras do you think that would be an appropriate amount for starting the tank?

gourami*girl
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
So I picked up Biospira Friday afternoon and added it to my tank in the evening. For those who remember this was b/c I was attempting fishless cycling with only ammonia, but decided to use Biospira to start a bacteria culture.

So I emptied out most of my water, replaced it, and tested ammonia = 1ppm. Figured a little ammonia in the tank might actually help the bacteria colonize and would let me know they are alive and kicking. So I added the Biospira to the tank and figured I would add fish as soon as the ammonia was gone.

So here I am a little under 48 hours later and ammonia is still at 1ppm, no nitrites or nitrates. Is it possible the ammonia being in the water when biospira was added killed the culture? Or does it simply take a few days for the bacteria to revive and colonize and start converting the ammonia?

Oh why do I have to make these things more difficult for myself? :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks everyone!

kaybee
10-12-2008, 10:15 PM
And the water was dechlorinated prior to adding the bio-spira?

gourami*girl
10-12-2008, 11:21 PM
And the water was dechlorinated prior to adding the bio-spira?

Yes, always. Should have noted that.