PDA

View Full Version : pearl scale goldfish

ronaldpearl
10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
hello

Can anyone advise why my new pearl scale goldfish just floats at the surface and doesn't really swim. It doesn't appear to have anything wrong but i'm not really familiar with their behavior.

Fishguy2727
10-08-2008, 11:54 AM
They are very sensitive, even for fancy goldfish. When you select for things like that (pearl scales, round body, certain colors) you overlook health and hardiness. It is simply impossible to select for both. So the final result is a fish with the 'desired' traits, but that is not hardy at all. Most likely a significant increase in water quality is required.

What is the nitrate concentration?
Water change schedule?
Diet?
Tankmates?

evesta
10-09-2008, 12:09 AM
My little pearlscale baby is very hardy actually. Some fish are, some aren't. Unfortunately fancy goldfish do have more problems because they are selectively breed for certain traits.

Could be other reasons he is floating though. I had a ruykin with floaty problems, of my 10 fancies he is the only one. Could be gas or constipation though. Try some thawed frozen peas and take them off flakes. If you do feed them commercial food(Pro gold or hikuri is good) get sinking pellets so they aren't taking in too much air at the top which adds to the gas. I only supplement with Pro-gold otherwise I try to do fresh foods like peas, green beans, zuchinni, shrimp, homemade gel food and such. Do a web search on homemade food for goldies and you will find recipes. My ruykin is doing much better!

Hope your little pearlie gets better. They are such cuties with great, spunky personalities:1luvu:

Fishguy2727
10-09-2008, 12:50 AM
You may also want to check out the sticky article on goldfish.

I use New Life Spectrum and have great colors, growth, and no problems.

NIXmx1
11-30-2008, 10:32 AM
My little Pearlscale is very spunky. I think they are really neat fish, such 'fatties". :c5: