PDA

View Full Version : How did you pick your betta?

CinRell
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I just went to Petco during my lunch break. I usually go to a mom and pop fish store for my bettas but Petco has some nice ones. They have a selection of crowntails too.

How did you pick yours? THey have them in small cups only half filled with water so their tails are laid over.. they can't fully expand them.

And they look REALLY small. Jaws was HUGE... Maybe they're young or... to Bettas grow to their habitat? I want a BIG betta with a long beautiful tail...

It's so hard to decide on a color.. they had one that looked just like my Peri (in my avatar)... which I was surprised at.

I"m horrid at decisions. Anyone in cleveland want to come fish shopping with me and help me chose?? :hmm3grin2orange:

Abbeys_Mom
01-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I always go for the feisty bettas. The ones that flare at you when you pick up the cup. If you think you see on you like and you want to check out their fins, you can always ask them to fill the cup, or bag it for you. I give my LSF a hard time when I buy one, I am alway taking the cups to the better lit part of the store.

minabird
01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
When I go to pick one out, I'll get the one that comes to the front of their container and checks me out while I'm looking at them.

CinRell
01-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Do they get bigger with a bigger tank?

Abbeys_Mom
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Yes, and you want to get a small one so it is young. They only live 2 years or so, so you want to have them as long as possible.

Betta_noob
01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Yes, and you want to get a small one so it is young. They only live 2 years or so, so you want to have them as long as possible.

Actually I know several people who have had there's live as long as 5-6 years. With excellent love and care they can live longer.

As for how I pick them I go one of two ones. First way is I go for the pathetic looking one that's all dejected but still beautiful to take them home or blossom.
Or I just look untill one calls to me, I still haven't entirely decided what it is but when it calls to me, I know.

bettaboy691
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
depends on where i am placing my betta when i get home, here in the UK the bettas aent in little cups but devided tanks or with other small tanks mates, if its going in a community then i pick a betta in a community tank that looks pieceful, but if its living a lone then i go for either a nice colourful betta one that looks healthy and strong for breeding

Abbeys_Mom
01-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Actually I know several people who have had there's live as long as 5-6 years. With excellent love and care they can live longer.

As for how I pick them I go one of two ones. First way is I go for the pathetic looking one that's all dejected but still beautiful to take them home or blossom.
Or I just look untill one calls to me, I still haven't entirely decided what it is but when it calls to me, I know.

2 years is just an average. I had on that died exactly one year to the day from when I bought it. I have had others live 4 or so, but I find that to rare.

Drumachine09
01-12-2007, 12:44 AM
The numbers are just all across the board.

Wallyfish
01-12-2007, 05:04 AM
I picked my Betta based on his fin quality and color. Pretty superficial huh :-) Most Bettas I see do not have good fin quality. There are usually tears. I got my betta from a small pet store instead of a larger chain retailer. The store owner goes to the breeders and custom picks his Bettas that he is selling. He really gets some good deltas and crowntails. Stores like Petco, Petsmart, and Wal-Mart just take whatever they're given and from what I've seen so far, they only carry veil-tail and crown-tail.

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 03:45 PM
I picked my Betta based on his fin quality and color. Pretty superficial huh :-) Most Bettas I see do not have good fin quality. There are usually tears. I got my betta from a small pet store instead of a larger chain retailer. The store owner goes to the breeders and custom picks his Bettas that he is selling. He really gets some good deltas and crowntails. Stores like Petco, Petsmart, and Wal-Mart just take whatever they're given and from what I've seen so far, they only carry veil-tail and crown-tail.

You do realize their fins grow back right :P
And actually I know plenty of people who've gotten other tail types from walmart petco and petsmart, sure they're not what they normally have it's worth the look. I know people who have gotten Double tails, delta tails, halfmoons and even crown tail double tails. I myself have a plakat female that I got from Petco. It's worth the look :D