PDA

View Full Version : how do you clean pleco poop from sand ??

dean30bb
10-08-2008, 04:22 AM
hi all i have a sand substrat and a pleco that poos alot lol and im soome getting 4 more i have them on order and i seem to be haveing trouble cleaning the pleco poo from the sand it just breaks up and sinks the the bottom and all that i clean up is sand it just sucks alot of sand up can someone help me with this problem plz

thanks

Fishalicious
10-08-2008, 07:20 AM
The poo is lighter than the sand...I usually just syphon just above the sand and the poop get's sucked up

dean30bb
10-08-2008, 08:31 AM
mine is heavier for sum reason dunno why but

sailor
10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
The poo is lighter than the sand...I usually just syphon just above the sand and the poop get's sucked up

Ditto........no problems sucking it up here either.

Do you have a lot of current breaking it up?

How often do you do a bottom cleaning?
Maybe increase the frequency that you do your cleanings.

gm72
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
I do find that some of the larger pieces are hard to suck up. Don't be so worried about cleaning up every single piece. Just get the majority of it and you'll be fine.

Juannie
10-09-2008, 12:19 AM
I've always just sihphoned it off the top, some sand comes with it but then i rinse the sand and the poop normally floats - sometimes you miss some, then i put the sand back in the tank.

chronic
10-09-2008, 03:56 AM
I too just siphon off the top. But you can see in some sand against the glass some poo gets mixed in and burried. So, sometimes I really aggitate the sand and pull as much stuff out as possible.

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 04:28 AM
It sounds like you aren't getting enough suction.Make sure you have no kinks in your hose.Do you have one of those gravel cleaners with the trap door right at the hose entrance.
I ripped it out and it works much better now.:19:

I hope this helps!:c3:

dean30bb
10-09-2008, 04:49 AM
It sounds like you aren't getting enough suction.Make sure you have no kinks in your hose.Do you have one of those gravel cleaners with the trap door right at the hose entrance.
I ripped it out and it works much better now.:19:

I hope this helps!:c3:

oh ok kool yeah i have the gravel cleaner but how do u get the little cover thing outa that hole lol

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 01:30 PM
You pull it apart.I take mine apart after every use so I can clean and sterilize it for next time!:19:
Its to easy to transfer something into the other tanks.