PDA

View Full Version : Pacu with a burn

newt0524
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Hey all

I need some help and or suggestions regarding my pacu.

I am currently consolodating 2 tanks (both 30 G) into 1 (60 G). However, due to size to space requirments, I will be getting rid of my pacu. He was housed with a clarias catfish. Yesterday I removed the clarias and the pacu is now alone in the 30G.

Since yesterday he has seemed very lathargic. This morning my wqife noticed that he had wedged himself between the glass and the heater and suffered a burn. It does not look terrible (yet). It sort of looks like a welt on his side, about 0.5" 3cm behind his gill. He attitude seems about the same, quite lethargic.

I have read many stories about fish getting burns and they always seems to end badly. Is this a death sentence? (please say no as I really do not want him to die and am only getting rid of him for his own good.

My question is what steps do I take now? What is the effect of burns on a fish? How do I make the best effort to ensure he survives?

I have removed the heater, (to prevent any more burns and hopefully stifle any sort of bacteria growth) The water quality is good as I maintain it well.

any suggestions?

newt

Lady Hobbs
01-11-2007, 04:15 PM
You should keep the heater a ways from the edge of the tank so this doesn't repeat itself.

I took a trip to FL and had someone feeding my fish. When I returned, my angel had a big opening on his side that I also think had to have been a burn. I treated him for 2 months before it healed. I would use Melafix for now to see if it will help him heal up. It won't hurt the other fish and also won't mess with your biological bacteria in your tank.