PDA

View Full Version : How much do you feed your betta?

CinRell
01-11-2007, 03:31 PM
When I had mine (am getting another soon).. I'd kind of squish them with the top of the container because they couldn't seem to eat the pellets (too big)... didn't look like they were getting much unless i squished them and crumbled them.

I feed the betta bites because the freeze dried brine shrimp or bloodworms or whatever they were (gross).. didn't go over well, they were snubbed. Years ago I fed frozen brine shrimp.. those went over well but were MESSY... So betta bites worked.... How much and how often do you feed?

And with filters... I keep my babies in 5 gallon minimum... anything less seems cruel to me (personal opinion.. my betta was MUCH happier when I upgraded and lived longer than the smaller tanked bettas of my childhood).. do you turn them off when you feed and how long do you turn them off? when I left them on, the food would swirl right up so typically I'd turn it off....

minabird
01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
CinRell-

A betta's stomach is about the same size as his eye. So, you really don't need to feed them very much. In the wild, fish are opportunistic eaters. They may to several days without eating, so they will gorge themselves when food is available; that's why fish, including aquarium fish, always look hungry.

I have my bettas in a 5, 10, and 28 gal tanks with power filters. Sometime I'll turn down the flow to the lowest setting, but usually I just leave it as is; the flow valve on my power filters are set between 9/3 and 11/1 o'clock (with 12 being pointed at the wall - lowest setting) depending on the other tank inabitants. If you turn off your power filter, keep it off for about 5 minutes, that's about as long as your fish should eat. After 5 minutes, clean up any left over food and turn your filter back on.

CinRell
01-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Thank you, Kevin

So 2 pellets should be more than enough? Is it right to crush them so he eats? When I don't I'm not sure if he gets any or is just putting it in his mouth and spitting it out.

And I mentioned that last time I went out of town my betta was overfed and died... so if I'm out of town for 5 days is it safe to just have him fed on the 2nd or 3rd day.. 2 or 3 pellets.. and that's it?

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 02:54 PM
feed him as much as he/she can consume in 3-5 minutes max. you'll know if you went overboard you'll know because there will be excess floating around. the best idea is to under feed first, if all is well then you can add a little more. doing this will also prevent extra maintenance that is not required and your betta will be healthier/happier.--jeff

minabird
01-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Thank you, Kevin

So 2 pellets should be more than enough? Is it right to crush them so he eats? When I don't I'm not sure if he gets any or is just putting it in his mouth and spitting it out.

And I mentioned that last time I went out of town my betta was overfed and died... so if I'm out of town for 5 days is it safe to just have him fed on the 2nd or 3rd day.. 2 or 3 pellets.. and that's it?

CinRell-

I feed my bettas Hikari betta pellets and I give them 4 each. I think the directions say 3 or 4 pellets at each feeding. I don't think crushing them would be a problem. My bettas eat them differently, some can fit the entire pellet into its mouth; others carry it sticking out of their mouths until its soft enough for them to either bite in half or eat whole; and still others will spit them out and let them sit in the water for a bit to soften up before eating them.

As for the days you're on travel, I think not feeding them at all until you return wouldn't hurt them. Your fish can survive for up to a week without food. In the wild, they would probably go longer without food just because they may not find any. Being gone for 5 days shouldn't be a problem for them to go without food. But if you can find someone that can go in once or twice during midweek and drop in 3-4 pellets for them, then I would do that.

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 03:47 PM
It sorta depends on the fish some of them eat flakes and some of mine eat pellets.
But the ones who do get 3 pellets.
For the smaller fish though I take my nail and break the pellet in half, when I do this the fish only gets 2 pellets, and they're happy cause they really think they're getting 4, heh.