PDA

View Full Version : starting small mbuna tank

STATMATT
10-07-2008, 09:49 PM
I posted this on the cycling page, but thought feedback from here would be useful.
Thx.
cycling (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=30920)

Dixie
10-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Check out this link for stocking.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_29g.php
I really trust the info found there.

STATMATT
10-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Thank You Dixie that post was very helpful. I've pretty much settled in on
Synodontus petricola (http://www.kwas.ca/Articles/Petricola.pdf) - 6
Metriclima sp. Mbweca (http://www.reservestockcichlids.com/product.php?productid=198&cat=16&page=1) - Trio

My 29 gallon tank is packed with rocks, I have no intention of catching the little buggers once they are in my tank kind of rockwork. to be exact, my 29 gallon tank only holds 23 gallons of water

Along with water changes, cleaning is assisted with a powerhead jet that I move around the rocks and gravel spraying out any stagnant material. This weekend I'm looking to pick up some

Cycle water conditioner
Seachem's
Stability
Clarity
Prime

Seachem's
Malawi & Victoria Buffer
Cichlid Trace
Cichlid Lake Salt

Or if someon can give me reason as to why they use Seachem over Kent It would help me make an informed decision.

Kent Marine's
A F Cichlid Buffer
A F Cichlid Rift Lake Trace Elements
A F Cichlid Chemistry

If I can find it, I'll use the Marineland Bio spira so if anyone knows of a place in DC. note: I don't own a car...

The Catfish show is next weekend in Laurel, MD, I intend to pick up my six little guys at an 1 to 1.5 inches in length. And from there I'll probably wait about three months before adding my cichlids of choice!

Any cautionary tales for me to listen to please speak up now...
Once again Dixie, I really appreciate the link and it makes me feel better about keeping my parameters down to two species.
Ciao!
Matt

kaybee
10-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Seachem's
Malawi & Victoria Buffer
Cichlid Trace
Cichlid Lake Salt

Or if someon can give me reason as to why they use Seachem over Kent It would help me make an informed decision.

Kent Marine's
A F Cichlid Buffer
A F Cichlid Rift Lake Trace Elements
A F Cichlid Chemistry...

No distinct difference.

...Any cautionary tales for me to listen to please speak up now...

1. Highly recommended that the mbuna trio be comprised of 1male/2 females.

2. That particular species of catfish may 'throw a wrench' in any mbuna breeding plans you have.

johnpeezy
10-11-2008, 06:01 AM
It not like he would be losing out if the syno's decide to spawn for him instead. If I wound up with syno petri fry I would be estatic.

but yeah he's that catfish tend to cause trouble if your attempting to breed cichlid mouth brooders

kaybee
10-11-2008, 01:04 PM
If I wound up with syno petri fry I would be estatic.

Same here, it would also be somewhat comical to see mbuna mothers spitting out syno cat fry instead of mbuna fry. Nothing bad with that if there's not a structured mbuna breeding plan in place.

Northernguy
10-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I am looking forward to seeing your tank finished.:19:
How are things going with your cycle?
I took most of my rock condo out because it was a ridiculous amount of work to simply try and net a fish,do a gravel clean or even trying to look at my fish without the use of a flashlight! :c2: I can't imagine being able to net a fry without knocking one of the high piled rocks off the top os just hitting a piece into the glass!
Besides my driftwood would not fit with the rocks so high :hmm3grin2orange:

Good luck and post sme pics soon!

STATMATT
10-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Well I made it to the LFS today, I'm determined to buy online from here on out. i like the fish store, but to travel an hour using public transportation to get there is just too much.

Here is the results of myCycle Process (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=372364&posted=1#post372364)

I'm waiting to take new measurements in the morning, the LFS only had the saltwater bio spira, they didn't have any of Seachem's Stability, they did have 'cycle' but at that price it should be able to turn an apple to an orange within a day.

I did get the Clarity, Prime, buffer, salts, they didn't have the trace elements.

Ah and I got a test kit ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and pH-high range. the water test at the store gave 6.8 on the pH so I'm hoping the buffer's can beef that up quite a bit.

Mbuna vs. Petricola's. I'm actually looking to breed the Petricolas, they are my favorite little guys. The Mbuna can do their own thing, but I'm purchasing show quality fish just in case I decide to switch them to another tank and play a cd of Marvin Gayve.I've got a contraption built with a modified sponge filter and a breeding net to capture the eggs/fry. but I'll cross that bridge probably next year. I'm looking for 6 that are around 1.5 inches. If I can find two different people with petricolas, I'll probably get three from each especially if they are F1. Something about siblings getting it on that give me the heebie jeebies. I think I'm on my way, the other stuff that the LFS didn't have I'll try through thatfishplace or amazon.
Marineland - Bio Spira
Seachem - Stability
Seachem - Trace
General Hardness Test Kit

I'm feeling good to go, but I'm going to be pissed at myself for trying something new if this ammonia cycle thing doesn't pan out.

Ciao!

Dixie
10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Why are you buying bio spira if you're going to do the fishless cycle with ammonia?

STATMATT
10-12-2008, 06:44 PM
I don't know, people seem to think highly of it, I'm thinking now that the ammonia not converted into nitrate might kill the bio spira bacterium...

I don't have any yet... I've also read that Seachem's stability does kind of the same thing, in the past I've always used Cycle.

STATMATT
10-14-2008, 08:35 PM
I was told by a guy at the LFS that you can create your own buffer with
epsom salt, aquarium salt and baking soda...

Anyone heard of this and or know the proportions, he said it was on the web, I'm curious has anyone tried it.

Cheers!

kaybee
10-14-2008, 11:38 PM
I've used salt, baking soda and epsom salt in my african cichlid tanks before.

There are no proper or specific proportions since how much to use depends on the parameters of your source water. Recommended proportions can be found online if the source water happens to be RO or RO/DI.

You may want to figure out what your 'target levels' are, then experiment with a 5gal container of source water. Then apply that ratio (x per 5gal) to the volume of your tank.

Nowadays I don't place much effort on obtaining parameters which mimic the lakes, for example I only add 2tsps of each (epsom salt and baking soda) in my 125/180gals and half that in my 55/75gals in concert with the refill phase of water changes. I used to apply much more (maybe that amount per 5gals) (which can get semi complicated since you have to keep track of how much you put in and how much is removed during water changes, etc).

Every once in a while I pour some saltwater, a pint or less, (derived from marine salt, not aquarium salt) into my tanks, but mainly for the trace elements aspect.