PDA

View Full Version : cloudy balls at bottom of tank..disease or eggs?

xstitch_allykat
01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
I have two male betta fish (different tanks). One (spongebob) is happy and swims around all the time and even follows my fingers (not in the water, hovering above) when I am about to feed him, (I kinda play follow me games with him), and my other fish (squirdward) is the total opposite.

He just sits in his grass all day and seems somewhat depressed. He isn't as hyper as spongebob and he doesn't even flare or notice spongebob when we removed the game case in between their 1 gal tanks. While spongebob looks like he is having a seizure..lol

Squirdward has a floating issue but I don't feed him and it goes back to normal and lately he has been laying on his side on the rocks and at the top of his tank and he just kinda lays on the thin leaves of his grass. So I am thinking he is lonely and depressed.

I clean their tanks once a week and today was cleaning day but I have noticed something that made me scratch my head on the bottom of squidwards' tank. Laying on the rocks are 2 cloudy balls, they look like fluff or lint but that's impossible because he had a lid on his tank and nothing can get in, to me they look like they could be egg-layers.

I know betta fish do the bubble nest thingy and lord knows squidward has no problem making those he pretty much fills the tank in a week, but I am stumped about this. Walmart had him labeled as a male and he has big fins but he doesn't stretch them out. Could they have mislabeld him and the cloudy balls on the bottom of the tank are egg-layers? And if he is a male then what are the cloudy balls on the bottom of the tank?

Ally

P.S. Here is a pic fo the balls, I tried to get a pic of squidward but he kept hiding in his grass and I couldn't take the pic.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3627/cloudyballsgk7.th.jpg (http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cloudyballsgk7.jpg)

Abbeys_Mom
01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
It could be mold from uneaten food. I would recommend removing them and cleaning the gravel.

xstitch_allykat
01-11-2007, 02:42 PM
my bf just informed me he only started feeding squidward a few days ago (we don't feed him everyday and he didn't feed him after he cleand the tank) and I told him your response abbey's mom and he wanted me to ask if that can happen in a few days?

Abbeys_Mom
01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I have seen mold grow in 4 days or less. How quickly it pops up depends on whether there are spores in the area or not.

jeffs99dime
01-11-2007, 06:43 PM
I have seen mold grow in 4 days or less. How quickly it pops up depends on whether there are spores in the area or not.

yeah. it looks like decaying food

Betta_noob
01-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah gotta agree, are you over feeding him? Or is he not eatting at all?

xstitch_allykat
01-11-2007, 11:45 PM
well he doesn't eat it as soon as it hits the water like spongebob does so I am assuming he just wasn't eating it.

We only give him one pellet every second day or so and I always give them a small piece of bloodworm when I change the tank, but after the bloodworm it is at least a day before I feed him again.

Betta_noob
01-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Then I can think of another reason why he's all listless.

He's starving.

You gotta watch him and make sure he eats, and it sounds like he doesn't like what you do have for him.
And when you do feed him you do need to watch him to see whether or not he eats it. Any uneatten food should be immediatly scooped out.
Personal opinion but once you get him eatting again I would really recommend feeding more than one pellet whenever it is you do feed him. You don't want to over feed but I honestly think one pellet is too little.

Drumachine09
01-12-2007, 12:32 AM
If he has a swim bladder issue, dont feed him at all.

xstitch_allykat
01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Then I can think of another reason why he's all listless.

He's starving.

You gotta watch him and make sure he eats, and it sounds like he doesn't like what you do have for him.
And when you do feed him you do need to watch him to see whether or not he eats it. Any uneatten food should be immediatly scooped out.
Personal opinion but once you get him eatting again I would really recommend feeding more than one pellet whenever it is you do feed him. You don't want to over feed but I honestly think one pellet is too little.

He's been like this since I bought him from Walmart in November. We do watch to make sure they eat the food but when he didn't eat it we just let it stay in the tank in hopes he would eventually eat it.

My bf and I have just assumed we have bought a sick and/or a dying fish and we just have to do what we can. We really can't change his food from pellets to flakes cause walmart doesn't have a wide variety of stuff for bettas (I live in a small town with a small walmart). We have feed spongebob with more then 1 pellet and he just chows down, but we could put pellets or bloodworms and squidward just doesn't seem to notice that it's in his tank.

We'll just have to keep doing what we are and try to feed him more often and hope for the best. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Betta_noob
01-12-2007, 03:43 PM
*sighs* Sadly if he's not eatting and listlessly floating around he must be fighting an internal battle.
Poor little guy.
I hope he pulls through for you.

jeffs99dime
01-12-2007, 06:18 PM
*sighs* Sadly if he's not eatting and listlessly floating around he must be fighting an internal battle.
Poor little guy.
I hope he pulls through for you.

as do i!!!!!