PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Java Ferns

Sasquatch
01-11-2007, 01:28 PM
We planted some Java Ferns a couple of months ago and, well, they aren't doing very well. The leaves are curling and some are starting to fall off. Most of the leaves are covered with algae and the new leaves are red colored, there are also some holes in the leaves. The other plant (looks like a real fern, dark green leaves, thin black stems) seems to be doing well, it's just the Javas that look bad.

We have a 15W Power-Glo fluorescent (in a 10g tank) and three platys in the aquarium. We also have snails, but they don't eat the plants, just the algae. We also add 1 tsp aquarium salt/gallon and have recently removed our charcoal filter. We don't add fertilizer or CO2 and they're planted in a coarse gravel (mix of 1/8" and 1/4" grains).

What's going on and how can we fix it?

Slinky_Bass
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Not too sure, but they could be suffering from a macro/micro nutrient deficiency. Check out these links:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/nutrient-deficiency.html
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

Both are good sites, they have a list of symptoms and their causes. Good luck with your Javas!

typically
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
if you planted them in the substrate that could be the problem. you should leave the rhizome (part that is right above the roots) out of the substrate. try attaching them to rocks or a piece of driftwood.

jeffs99dime
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
if you planted them in the substrate that could be the problem. you should leave the rhizome (part that is right above the roots) out of the substrate. try attaching them to rocks or a piece of driftwood.

i think you have a nutrient deficiency

Sasquatch
01-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Any suggestions on how to attach them?

Also, if it help, the Nitrates run around 5 mg/L and the phosphate around 0.25 mg/L.

MrKickalot
01-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Any suggestions on how to attach them?

Also, if it help, the Nitrates run around 5 mg/L and the phosphate around 0.25 mg/L.

I attached mine to my log with fishing line. It's almost invisible and it easy to work with (easier than thread). Once it takes hold you can remove the line.

Sasquatch
01-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, we pulled up the plants and they seem to have rooted very well into the substrate. I'm thinking along the same lines as jeffs99dime, nutrient deficiency.

Could we just have too many plants in there? When we pulled them out we did a quick count and we have 15 individual stems, plus the other two ferns. We spaced them out a little so that all the stems are separated, they used to be in bunches of 4.

If things don't improve, we'll try fertilizer. Is there a kind you would recommend?

Drumachine09
01-14-2007, 12:41 AM
nutreint difficiency.

Sasquatch
01-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I added some Nutrafin Plant Gro yesterday and the red leaves seem to be greening up. Looks like I'll have to buy an eight test kit (for Iron), but if the plants perk up, it'll be worth it.

Any comments on the 17 plants in a 10g? I'm thinking it might be a little much.:ezpi_wink1: I think that once we get the quarantine finished for our latest fish we'll transfer some plants in there.