PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Please Nitrites

GeneralGoldeneye
10-07-2008, 04:40 AM
the first pic it when I first added the drops the one on the far right is my cycled 29gal middle is nitrites in 75 gal and left is ammonia 75 gal. and this is fishless

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC01427.JPG

this picture is at 5 min and the one on the far right is a nice blue for my cycled 29 gal and the nitrites for my 75 gal the one in the middle is not a pure blue I cant tell what it is

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/DSC014291.JPG

Lady Hobbs
10-07-2008, 08:18 AM
You are making this far harder than it needs to be. Make sure each test vial is rinsed out a couple time before using it again. Even a small amount of another chemical left in that vial will mess your tests up. Do not dip the glass tubes in your tank but dip out a bit of water in a cup and pour it in those tubes.
Add your drops, let each set for 5-10 minutes and then take your reading.

Mvjnz
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Holding them against a white background helps too, such as a piece of paper.

gm72
10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Agreed with the above 2 posts. I am confused though--I didn't read a question in the original post. Are you concerned that your nitrItes are too high?

GeneralGoldeneye
10-07-2008, 12:17 PM
yea I don't know what my nitrites are because i cant determine the color of the tube. If you notice it not a true blue color like my cycled 29 gal tank. I'm not sure why it turns purple right when I put the drops in. purple means there are nitrites but it fades away after 5 min. I do clean the tubes out really good I tested it about 5 different times yesterday and got the same reading

Also it has a greenish tint to it. I'm not trying to make this harder than what it is its just something doesn't seem right with it changing from purple to a greenish blue color

Any ideals on whats going on with my nitrites? my nitrates are 10

I added more ammonia this morning and when I get home from work it will be back to 0 again. I add ammonia 2 times a day now and i get it up to 3 to 4. but I just dont know if I have nitrites or not because it is purple when I add the drops then drop to a greenis blue color at the 5 min mark

Lady Hobbs
10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I think your tank has cycled. I would do a water change (cleaning nothing) and start adding your fish. Those test kits in the second picture is evident of a cycled tank. You are adding a lot more ammonia than your fish will give you.

GeneralGoldeneye
10-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I think your tank has cycled. I would do a water change (cleaning nothing) and start adding your fish. Those test kits in the second picture is evident of a cycled tank. You are adding a lot more ammonia than your fish will give you.

can you answer this question? Why would my nitrites tube turn purple right when I add the drops. when I was cycling my 29 gal it went from blue to purple and when it was cycled it just stayed blue

gourami*girl
10-07-2008, 05:36 PM
can you answer this question? Why would my nitrites tube turn purple right when I add the drops. when I was cycling my 29 gal it went from blue to purple and when it was cycled it just stayed blue

These may be silly questions, but are you shaking your bottles well before adding the drops? The guy at my LFS told me that the nitrite solution espically needs to be shaken well (for 30 seconds) before adding.

Also, is it possible your test kit is getting old/expiring? Check for an expiration date.

GeneralGoldeneye
10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
These may be silly questions, but are you shaking your bottles well before adding the drops? The guy at my LFS told me that the nitrite solution espically needs to be shaken well (for 30 seconds) before adding.

Also, is it possible your test kit is getting old/expiring? Check for an expiration date.

yes I am shaking my bottels and its not expired

Northernguy
10-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I have a nutrifin liquid test kit and if I leave it for too long it turns blue.Just continue with your 5% w/cs and you will be fine.If it bothers you that much, if you can afford it,get a better test kit.
Do they make a digital nitrate/nitrite tester yet?:c2:

Good luck and hope all works out!:c3:

GeneralGoldeneye
10-07-2008, 05:57 PM
my tester if fine I have a cycled 29 gal tank and it reads it fine it stays blue. It does not go from purple to a greenish blue. I just tested the nitrates and they are at .25

Northernguy
10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry i don't know that kit. I meant continue with 25 % water changes and all should be good.

GeneralGoldeneye
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
='''( I m Guessing my tank was not cycled because I added my fish yesterday afternoon and 4 of the 6 are dead and the 2 that are alive are the smallest ='( ='( I moved the 2 out to try to save them

GeneralGoldeneye
10-08-2008, 11:09 PM
='''( I m Guessing my tank was not cycled because I added my fish yesterday afternoon and 4 of the 6 are dead and the 2 that are alive are the smallest ='( ='( I moved the 2 out to try to save them

Well I tryed to move the 2 out but can not catch them with all the rocks so I only have one liveing at the time and im in the process of doing a 50% water change Poor fish I didnt want this to happen

Northernguy
10-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Sorry to hear it . Dam that bites!
Try taking some water samples to a couple of different stores and ask them to test the water for you and see what results from it. They might find what you may have missed. You will also be able to find out why your kit tests the way it does.
I hope you figure this out! I hate losing fish

GeneralGoldeneye
10-08-2008, 11:33 PM
yea so do I they where not cheap fish. my test kit works fine on my 29 gal but when I test on my 75 gal its weard with the nitrites. The only thing I could think of is that my nitrites are so high it is throwing the test kit off it cant read it i dont know but there is only one livving fish left in the tank and I would take her out if i could catch her but there are to many hideing spaces. I hope she lives and it looks like im down to water changes to keep her alive. Im going to test now that i did a 50% water change 20 min ago

GeneralGoldeneye
10-08-2008, 11:41 PM
I think thats what it was my nitrites where so high my test kit didn't read it because now that I did a 50% water change it reading at a 2 after 5 min it doesn't go to a greenish color

Northernguy
10-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Water changes are a great plan.
Testing should be done about 6-12hrs. after the water change for a more precise reading.If you don't give it time your readings will be all screwy!
You should get a second opinion on your water quality.

:c3: It won't hurt that much!!!
There may be something you are missing that a fresh pair of eyes might see

GeneralGoldeneye
10-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Well im going to do what i can do to keep 1 one fish that some how has lived sofar alive. but the damage may be allready done to her.

RIP
2 female blue haps
1 male hap
1 male yellow lab
1 Baby Jonanni

All over night =,( :scry:

AABatteries
10-09-2008, 01:45 AM
The instructions in my test kit say shake nitrite test bottle for 1 minute before putting drops in.

GeneralGoldeneye
10-09-2008, 03:59 AM
Keep you updated