PDA

View Full Version : hermits

cocoa_pleco
10-07-2008, 02:37 AM
probably the stupidest question to ever hit this forum, but how do the hermit crabs in saltwater breathe/get oxygen? they never get out of the water. its always bugged me and ive never asked

unleashed
10-07-2008, 02:45 AM
they have gills just like fish/shrimps. Also have a labrynth like organ found in bettas which enables them to breathe air

cocoa_pleco
10-07-2008, 02:46 AM
cool, now i know!

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

kaybee
10-07-2008, 04:09 AM
I always thought they were completely aquatic (which they can be), but I saw how one LFS kept them in their own live-rock filled enclosure, with a water depth of 3" at the most. Many of the hermits seemed prone to climb out of the water and just hangout on the parts of the rock which were not submerged.

They're not like fiddler crabs, from what I understand which MUST gain access to the air periodically or will drown.

unleashed
10-07-2008, 08:32 AM
I always thought they were completely aquatic (which they can be), but I saw how one LFS kept them in their own live-rock filled enclosure, with a water depth of 3" at the most. Many of the hermits seemed prone to climb out of the water and just hangout on the parts of the rock which were not submerged.

They're not like fiddler crabs, from what I understand which MUST gain access to the air periodically or will drown.
I don't think it is a must that they need air. I think it has more to do with their diet (micro-organisms found in mangrove mud etc) and coming from the tidal zone

cocoa_pleco
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
fiddlers actually do need land, same with other non-saltwater hermits. they will drown otherwise

labnjab
10-07-2008, 05:50 PM
We had our fiddlar for four months, and he would only go for air maybe once a month...nows he's exscaped for the 2nd time and I think he's gone, last time he headed for the fridge for a late night snack (20 feet from the tank), but we can't find him now. Must have headed for the sewers...his friend disappeared 3 months ago and we've yet to find them. Maybe it came back for hiim:hmm3grin2orange: