PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else keep Hermit Crabs?

Demjor19
10-07-2008, 02:35 AM
My g/f and i are also very much into hermit crabs (mostly her), but i'm very much into them too! At the moment we have about a dozen of them in a 65 gallon hex tank. They are a ton fun to watch climb around at night under the red heat lamp while we sleep. If anyone else keeps hermits post them here! I'd like to see who all has them on here.

cocoa_pleco
10-07-2008, 02:36 AM
i had lands a few years ago, they were cool. now i only have saltwater fully aquatic hermits

Demjor19
10-07-2008, 02:48 AM
The marine hermits are awesome too! They have some great colors. What do you feed them?

We currently have 3 different species of land hermits...had 4, but lost one during a mechanical failure (a fixture malfunctioned while we were away).

Halelorf
10-07-2008, 02:51 AM
My marine hermits scavenge from the liverock and every once in awhile grab a NLS pellet that falls past the clown fish to the bottom.

Demjor19
10-07-2008, 03:03 AM
My marine hermits scavenge from the liverock and every once in awhile grab a NLS pellet that falls past the clown fish to the bottom.

Ok, so the aquatic crabs are primarily scavengers as well? I saw one of yours in the POTM thread...it looks great! I've been throwing the idea of starting up a salwater tank around a little, but haven't done so yet. Are your hermits very tankmate friendly?

cocoa_pleco
10-07-2008, 04:04 AM
nothin special, they just scavenge. hermits are extremely tankmate friendly

AABatteries
10-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Don't marine hermits sometimes fight other hermits to get a new shell?

kaybee
10-07-2008, 11:14 PM
They can be territorial and cannibalistic.

I had a fairly large one which would specifically target smaller ones (which had shells too small for it to occupy).

I've seen some strange one's which had wicked claws (usually one of the two main claws). They were also extremely fast, sure what kind of hermit they were.

I've toyed with the idea of getting one of the land hermit crabs.

oldhead
10-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I have about 28 hermits in my tank right now. Always fun to watch the little guys.

labnjab
10-08-2008, 04:45 AM
We've got 12 marine hermits and they are fun to watch, some change their shells daily, but some will stay still for 2 days at a time. we've been debating about getting land hermits recently, we do have an extra 10 gallon tank laying around...whats involved in caring for them?:hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
10-08-2008, 04:54 AM
We've got 12 marine hermits and they are fun to watch, some change their shells daily, but some will stay still for 2 days at a time. we've been debating about getting land hermits recently, we do have an extra 10 gallon tank laying around...whats involved in caring for them?:hmm3grin2orange:

land hermits just need a optional basking light, a water sponge, some food, and some soft substrate, i used some type of barky moss.

if you can, get some coconut sheet background, mine loved to climb on it.

labnjab
10-08-2008, 04:57 AM
land hermits just need a optional basking light, a water sponge, some food, and some soft substrate, i used some type of barky moss.

if you can, get some coconut sheet background, mine loved to climb on it.

cool, sounds like a near future project and sounds fairly cheap

Demjor19
10-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Land Hermit Crabs do best in colonies and need to be kept at around 85% humidity and at around 80-90 degrees. They need a sand (or something similar) substrate that is deep enough for them to bury themselves in (this is required for molting). They also require a freshwater bowl and a slatwater bowl. To keep land hermit crabs properly is much more complicated than most people think and if properly kept they can live over 30 years!

Out of the 12+ crabs we have...i never see more than 2 or 3 of them at one time. They are buried under the sand that often. They cetainly love to dig!

labnjab
10-08-2008, 12:35 PM
How much salt in the water and what type of salt?

Demjor19
10-08-2008, 01:29 PM
How much salt in the water and what type of salt?

Exactly what is in a SW fish tank. You are trying to mimic the environment in which they originate from.