PDA

View Full Version : pond with goldfish

bambilee
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
This is my first time on here. I have a question and Im not sure if Im doing this right. My question is do I have to stop feeding my goldfish in my outside pond for the winter.? And if so when do I have to stop feeding them. I was told by someone if you continue to feed them in the winter you can kill them. It is starting to get cold here at night. I live in New Jersey. If anyone can answer my question that would be so helpful to me. I do not want to kill my goldfish

Dave66
10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
You stop feeding when the water temperature goes below 60 degrees and stays there. In the fall, you feed gold fish wheat germ pellets designed for it. It gives the fish the fats when they go sombulent when the water dips under 60 degrees, so they can survive the cold.
If your pond is four feet deep or deeper you can leave the gold fish in for the winter, and use a pond heater to make a hole in the ice for gas exchange. If not, you'll have to dip them out and keep them indoors for the winter.

Dave

smaug
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
My eperiance tells me that you feed pond fish down to 45 deg,use wheat germ food as Dave suggested.Also,my pond is only 20 inches deep and I leave my koi and goldys outside all winter.Use a small pump that directs a water bulging flow to the surface that will keep an air exchange hole throught the ice,if the pond surface does freeze solid open a hole with a pot of boiling water poured onto the ice,never pound on or chip the ice as this will cause a fish killing concussion.Place the pump on a block in the upper third of the ponds depth to avoid disturbing the lower level of the pond as this is where the fish will rest during the winter months.When the temp goes above 55deg and stays there resume feeding wheat germ for a few weeks while slowly adding small amounts of normal food.Make sure to restart your biofilter with a quality product such a biolift and do a few good water changes along with a good cleaning.

Fishguy2727
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I have always heard to feed the spring and fall diets (wheat germ) between 50 and 60 and to stop feeding under 50.

Jacko
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Lol, I've always heard it as 55 for me.

Also, I have a 2 1/2 foot pond that we winter our fish in without issues, before that with my old pond (was really a child sandbox I got tired with as a child) which was only 1 foot deep I'd catch the fish and move them over to my neighbor's 20,000 gallon pond every winter. Funny enough, every time I went to get them back, she'd send me with extras.:hmm3grin2orange:

smaug
10-06-2008, 11:38 PM
this is the food I started the hobby with and this is what it recomends for temps.They actually recomend feeding down to 39deg but that is a bit low in my opinion.Just follow the link to there spring fall fish food tab.
http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/TetraFish/pond/PondContent.aspx?id=458