PDA

View Full Version : General coral questions

labnjab
10-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Do corals consume nitrates like plants do in freshwater? I can't seem to find the answer, but before I added corals I had between 5 and 10 nitrates and shortly after adding them they went down to nearly undetectable.

Also, what are some recomended coral foods, one that would be added when I mix the water for a water change. They are doing great without it and I'm seeing new zoa polyps and xneia's everyday, but I know they would do better with it once a week or so. Thanks for any help.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
No, they do not use nitrates. Your nitrates are going down because of anaerobic bacteria.

Photosynthetic corals do no need to be fed. Since you are still new to this whole process, I'd suggest you not start feeding them yet.

labnjab
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you for that info. I thought they didn't need to be fed, but when I bought the coral he suggested we feed them because he was feeding them, so i thought i would ask here and see the opinions of others. They are doing very well as it is. Their growing faster then I thought they would be. One frag of zoas has almost doubled in size, although it hasn't spread to the live rock yet.

cocoa_pleco
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM
yep, they dont use nitrates

you CAN feed photosynthetic corals, but its not needed. some people report faster growth with it. your tank is young, so i wouldnt do it. any loose food could do too much damage to a young tank

Dr.Fragenstein
10-14-2008, 12:01 AM
No, they do not use nitrates. Your nitrates are going down because of anaerobic bacteria.

Photosynthetic corals do no need to be fed. Since you are still new to this whole process, I'd suggest you not start feeding them yet.

Beg to differ guys, it IS proven that corals comsume SOME NO3 AS WELL AS PO4. If you don't believe me ask Julian Sprung. Many coral farms DELIBERATELY ADD NO3 AND PO4 to the water to increase growth. Don't get me wrong, the amounts are small and elevated levels will HINDER growth but they DO consume some. Some people have even gone as far as having "xenia filters" the jury is still out on that one but it is a new technique that is being attempted.
Zoo's and xenia are fast growers and will go GREAT W/O supplemental foods. Xenia WILL do better in a more nutrient rich tank though. Tanks that are TOO CLEAN typically don't keep xenia as well.

Good luck