PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Ones

Fishalicious
10-06-2008, 07:42 AM
http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n323/Fishaliciousfish/eac97d83.jpg

Blue Pearl Shrimp - I have about 70 of these little guys at the moment and am in the process of changing the substrate to black sand

I also have Green Babaulti shrimp but they are impossible to capture as they are as green as the plants..:c2: And my lovely little cherries which multiply faster than what I know what to do with :11:

xximanoobxx
10-06-2008, 07:53 AM
are the blue ones cardinia species???
That looks really cool...

Fishalicious
10-06-2008, 08:05 AM
They are Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis var. Blue so they will crossbreed with Cherries and any other Neocaridina... they are a lot more vibrant blue in real life...hope the black sand brings it out more :19:

xximanoobxx
10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
yep, they would look so cool...
where did u get em?

Dave66
10-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Never been into shrimp, but the more I see of them, Jess, the more I'm thinking about building a spare aquarium to house some of those jewels. Nice shot, by the way, as usual :). I take it that little fellow in the shot is a youngster of those blue folks?

Dave

Fishalicious
10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Thanks Dave! Great compliment coming from you :1luvu: ... Shrimp are fun if you have a spare small tank lying around...they are actually quite very entertaining and very easy to keep. What an eye for attention you have LOL it is indeed a little one...

@noob I am a member of an Aquarium Association so have a lot of contacts in the fishy world and travel the country up and down going to fairs and meetings and also pop into Germany a lot which is where I got these little guys.

xximanoobxx
10-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Well Duh since u live underwater, u can get anything fish u want...
Lawl

gm72
10-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Awesome shrimp, love them! Question--once you have a colony/group/flock/gaggle/whatever of shrimp, will they breed and sustain/expand the population?

sailor
10-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I agree with Dave, the more I see them the more I like them. Is ther a sticky here somewhere on setting up and maintaining a shrimp tank. I have 2 spare empty tanks atm.

Fishalicious
10-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Awesome shrimp, love them! Question--once you have a colony/group/flock/gaggle/whatever of shrimp, will they breed and sustain/expand the population?

They will keep expanding until the tank explodes :hmm3grin2orange: Luckily Shrimp are very wanted so you can easily sell excess shrimp on the side... I usually manage to sell at least 40-60 Shrimp in a month but I only sell them per 10 as they are group animals and feel a lot better that way. Some folks buy new blood for the line now and again to keep the coloring up but I haven't added any new blood to my cherries in 2 years and they are redder than red. If there are no buyers which is rare you can feed the excess as live food to the fishies....

@Sailor don't think there is a sticky but it is really is easy peasy just make sure there are plenty of plants for them to eat from (java moss is a must in my eyes as the baby shrimp need it) No worries about algae as they will eat this also... only think to watch with shrimp are ammonia & nitrites - even a trace of it will kill them so it has to be a balanced tank. They are a bit more sensitive than fish and a lot of meds will also kill them.. other than that - they take care of themselves :19:

Gemstone
10-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Fishalicious...those blue babies of yours are absolutely gorgeous...If hubby had to see them he would be soooo jealous..

ANd yeah...keeping these little critters is easy peasie..and they don;t really ask for much at all...inf act...it is cheaper keeping them than fish!!!!!..hehe...

now...wonder where I can get hold of some of those blue thingies around here....:18:

Tolley
10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
awesome shrimp Jess. couldnt wait to see photos. :19:

Fishalicious
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Shame you don't live anywhere near Underwater Gemstone... I would have gladly donated some to feed your MTS habit :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks Tolley xx I took loads of pics but didn't want to flood the forum LOL

terrapin24h
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
If you want to sell any of those blue little buggers, let me know. I hope to start a 6gal or so strictly for inverts, and will hopefully have it going soon

--chris

Fishalicious
10-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I'll gladly give you some but I live in the Netherlands... not sure where you live?

troy
10-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Cool shrimp!

terrapin24h
10-08-2008, 03:35 AM
I'll gladly give you some but I live in the Netherlands... not sure where you live?

Thanks, but i think you'd be breaking a treaty then, i live in the US. I called an lfs that says "they can get anything" we'll see lol :) thanks anyways fishalicious!! I'll have to enjoy them via your pics!

--chris