PDA

View Full Version : Windelov Java Fern?

Alfcea
10-06-2008, 02:40 AM
The curiosity is killing me!!! :18:

Does anybody know how the so called "Windelov" Java fern came into being? I read somewhere that "it must be assumed that natural mutations..."... Does this mean that is it "man-made"? It is a beautiful plant and I just got a few for my low light tank... but I want to know more about it and the internet is not helping much!!! Is it a different species?

Thanks for any advice you guys might have,

invadertoast
10-06-2008, 03:17 AM
I have no idea, but I do have one and the "lacy" pieces at the top of the leaves have grown roots and attached themselves to the top of the tree stump in my 23. Pretty neat!

fins_n_fur
10-06-2008, 05:02 AM
The plant, Microsorum pteropus 'WindelÝv', is named after Holger WindelÝv, the founder of Tropica Aquarium plants, a large aquarium plant grower located in Denmark. It is a variety of the java fern that is patented by Tropica. I'm not sure, but would guess, it's Tropica's own hybrid of the plant.

Alfcea
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks, fins....

Any other ideas?

fins_n_fur
10-06-2008, 03:08 PM
What do you mean by any other ideas? That's where the name comes from. Try looking here (http://192.38.244.204/go.asp?plant=008b).

Alfcea
10-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, I've seen this page before and I know that this is where the plant got its name from, but I am really asking about the actual plant.

Tropica claims that the plant was found in the wild but that it hasn't been found again (?!). They have also patented it and have some other "types" of Java fern that have hit the market...

So, I guess what I am really asking (and notice that I don't want to open a can of worms) is: "Is this a genetically modified organism?". Other gmo's have hit the market, right? glowing zegra danios and things... How about this plant?

fins_n_fur
10-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I wasn't quite sure what you meant. Based on this person's blog (http://aquabotanic.blogspot.com/2008/05/improving-on-nature-hybrids-and.html), this variety of is a cross-breed or hybrid developed by man much like flowers, vegetables, etc. I don't think this is the same as genetically modifying the plant, but it's been ages since I had biology or genetics course. :hmm3grin2orange:

Insane Teen
10-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Very cool plant! But where can I get one? It looks really cool, is there a site on the Internet where I can purchase one?

Lady Hobbs
10-07-2008, 02:49 AM
They actually had a chunk of it at the place I get my fish and I almost grabbed it. I have one small piece that hasn't grown a bit in nearly a year. Seems to finally be perking up a bit so I am hopeful.