PDA

View Full Version : No one will eat the frozen brine shrimp.

Glasstapper
01-11-2007, 12:30 AM
I thought this was a treat or special food for them. I thaw out the cube in a shot glass with their own tank water then break it up a bit as I put it in so there are little bits floating around. The corys completely ignore the bits on the bottom, the tiger barbs chew it and spit it out, the betta just looks at it and flares his fins, and the salvini took one bite and never touched it again. You give them flakes, freeze dried bloodworms, or sinking wafers and it's a feeding frenzy.

I don't get it.
*shrug*

crackatinny
01-11-2007, 12:45 AM
I get the same result with shrimp, both frozen and freezedried, thats with Bala's, silver dollars, mollies, platties, angels, black widows, sucking cats, convicts, an oscar and a red devil, (not all in same tank of cause)

Fishguy2727
01-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Watch that salvini, they can get very aggressive. Try not thawing it, just tossing in the whole cube.

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 12:59 AM
They might just not be used to it. Try again several time to see if they change their disposition. If not, they must be picky eaters.

jeffs99dime
01-11-2007, 02:07 AM
try the frozen bloodworms. and throw the whole cube in like reptileguy said. all my fish go crazy when i use this technique

Glasstapper
01-11-2007, 02:22 AM
Well, I've tried different methods so far. I tried tossing it in frozen. I tried tossing it in whole but thawed. And I've tried thawed and broken up. When I used to have guppies, they were the only ones that ate it. I would not feed them in the morning, then toss in the cube at night thinking surely they were hungry. Only the guppies would eat it, then I would try a few flakes after 30 minutes and feeding frenzy! I guess they only like dry foods. I haven't tried any live foods yet.

I guess I should just be happy they're eating.

reptileguy - haven't seen much aggression from him yet (only towards the guppies, but they're out of there now). His tankmate will be a convict (along with tiger barbs), so I'm going for an aggressive tank. I hope the convict doesn't beat him up. I'll be introducing the convict this Thursday. I'll let you guys know how it goes. ;)

jeffs99dime
01-11-2007, 02:24 AM
i definitely want to know how the convict fares in that mix!

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Sounds interesting keep us updated!

Glasstapper
01-11-2007, 04:31 AM
I'm interested to know how the convict will do, as well! Y'all know how picture happy I am, so you can bet there will be lots of pics.

Lady Hobbs
01-11-2007, 05:41 AM
Hang onto those brine shrimp. They will be useful if you ever have fry.

Glasstapper
01-11-2007, 05:49 AM
I was planning on getting a male convict. Should I get a female convict and see what we get? I'm sure that would be interesting.

Those shrimp could no doubt come in handy when I do my 29 gallon dwarf cichlid tank, though. :)

kimmers318
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
I am surprised at the nose turning up at brine shrimp from your fish....the only ones I have that turn their noses up at frozen brine are my dwarf puffers....they want live! Maybe just because it is new and not something they have tried before. Next time you need to leave for a few days and they don't get fed, try it again since they will be starving. My fish act like that with flake food regularly waiting for something better, but sometimes that is all ya get guys.
Only larger fry will be able to eat the brine shrimp, the smaller babies will need baby brine shrimp.