PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon circulation

willdewese
10-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Hello everyone,
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with central american cichlids, I have a new penguin filter rated to 75 gallons, however due to my tank set-up I have to put the filter on the far end of the tank, I am thinking that I may need a powerhead to help circulate the water from one end of the tank to the other. I have looked a lot for articles on powerhead sizing, and can't find anything. I know that the filter that I have is a good filter, but does anyone have any thoughts on a good size or GPH powerhead for my tank? Any information would be helpful. Thank you
Will

W_Oz
10-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Depends on how much water flow you want to generate. In my aquarium I have a 350gph canister hooked up to a spraybar and a pair of Penguin/Marineland 660R's to move water around the tank and it does a fine job of it. I'd advise buying at least one powerhead that'll move 175gph since that penguin's an HOB, right? After that, maybe just a Koralina Nano or one of the adjustable Koralina's.

My 55 has Asian stream/river fish and they all seem to enjoy the brisk water movement and the aeration the powerheads provide.

cocoa_pleco
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Koralina Nano or one of the adjustable Koralina's.

Koralia :)

Fishguy2727
10-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I usually use an air pump. It is amazing how much a strong air pump hooked up to a 2' rigid bubble wand or a 6" ceramic air diffuser can move water.

FordForever
10-05-2008, 11:42 PM
I noticed that as well. I have a very strong air pump on my 29G hooked to an 8inch stone. The stone is cupped to the right wall on the bottom of my tank and when I vacuum the gravel I can see debris rocketing across the top of the tank to the left side. When it gets in the filter flow it dives to the bottom where the filter eats it up.

I agree it is VERY effective. So effective I had to turn the air pump down...

Collin1104
10-06-2008, 02:56 AM
if possible, since most powerheads cost almost as much as a penguin 200 biowheel or something like that, why not just get the extra filter =) extra filtration plus more water movement! but all the other ideas everyone came up with are great too o_0

Northernguy
10-10-2008, 01:19 AM
One can never have enough filtration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:19: