PDA

View Full Version : Someone ban me from PetCo! Please!

s72450
10-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I was going to return a tank stand and of course had some time to kill while they got someone up there and well I wondered into the fish section yet again and fell in love with a beautiful dark blue female betta. I had no intentions of getting another female since I already have four, plus two males, but she is so pretty, a very dark blue, but shines like a new penny. I couldn't help myself so I brought her home.

My tank stand was thirty seven dollars and after picking up my new girl, I saw some decor that I wanted and then opted to pick up a bigger tank for one of my male bettas, Jack. He's moving on up from a 2.5 tank to a 5.5 and the new girl, Athena is going into the 2.5. I ended up getting five bucks back from my return once I bought all the new goodies, lol.

I swear I'm addicted to these fish, I can't help it.

I have an all female tank going, but they were put in there together a few weeks ago and I hate to toss Athena in there for them to ravage, so she's getting her own space until I upgrade to a 55 gallon later in the year.

Gayle
10-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Ok you are banned........................Did it work? LOL It is seriously addicting keeping our finned friends. Do you have any pics of her yet? She sounds beautiful!

Kayla-Bug
10-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh man, I know what you mean! I basically have to make myself walk out the door or I'll end up buying a new tank or finding another around here for one. It is really addicting! I think the Bettas are more addicting than other fish for some reason. I have 9 Bettas now. 2 of them recent from where I was suckered in to buying them... I don't want to be banned from Petco, but I do need a leash or SOMETHING LOL!!!!

s72450
10-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Athena is getting used to her temp home wheras Jack is having a great time in his new 5.5 gallon, he's roaming all around and looks so beautiful under a different light.

Athena doesn't look as pretty under this tank light, but she's still a beautiful girl.

I'll take some pics, but I've never been too good at capturing my fishy friends.

Kayla-Bug
10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Here's a pic of the 2 ones I picked up last time I was there.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/kaylanblake/Picture161.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/kaylanblake/Picture164.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/kaylanblake/Picture158.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa110/kaylanblake/Picture149-1.jpg

They are both transparent :D

s72450
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
See I always overlook the transparent ones because I'm afraid they're sick.

FordForever
10-05-2008, 08:07 PM
That is cute! I have such a soft heart those betta fish in the chain stores. They look at me with the sad face and it breaks my heart. They sit there in the little cups...I almost buy one every time I go in there.

Dave66
10-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Welcome to the AA, the Aquariums' Anonymous. The members are all those afflicted with Multiple Tank Syndrome, those with "I just can't stop buying fish" syndrome, and the "my aquariums are more important to me than anything or anyone" syndrome.
Join the club.

Dave

s72450
10-05-2008, 10:46 PM
I have four tanks now, it's getting sad, lol.

sailor
10-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Great looking betta's. I have so many pet related syndromes it's getting bad, I need help lol.

s72450
10-06-2008, 12:51 AM
This whole fish obsession started really quickly. I've had them before, but it's been years since I had any. We got a betta at work and my co-worker really got into the fish thing and I just followed her lead and now we're both rushing to the pet store on the weekends. She has four tanks as well.

Kathyd
10-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I love the transparent bettas. My betta James has a celephane body, orange bands at the start of the fins and more transparent finnage at the end. He's great. Your's is very pretty. I love looking at fish in stores. Luckily, I've convinced my husband that it is educational for our two year old to see the fish every time we are near a pet store. :wink2:

BettaSei
10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
I was in Petsmart earlier today... I went in to get prices for my mom on some cat stuff... wandered over to the fish stuff and bought a new tank decoration and spent a long time looking at the other betta's ... If only I could set up another space for a betta... Instead I just spent the same time I stared at the other betta's giving my Poseidon the same attention...

But this one male had blue fins red body, and was BEAUTIFUL....

dean30bb
10-06-2008, 07:12 AM
lol i love buying new fish and equipment at one stage when i had alot of bettas i ended up with around 15 betta tanks only about 2 gallons each tank and i had a big 4ft by 1ft x1ft tank i divided into 5 smaller tanks for the bettas. but i never had female bettas i didnt really like them

i only have one betta now because the tanks were getting a bit much lol :hmm3grin2orange:

s72450
10-07-2008, 03:30 AM
I've honestly found that I like the females moreso than the males, maybe it's cause they're not as "pretty" or because they don't garner as much attention, but I just love them, they have a totally different personality than the males, very friendly and love attention, you should see my female tank when I walk past it, they all pop out and rush over to the side to see me.

invadertoast
10-07-2008, 03:37 AM
I've honestly found that I like the females moreso than the males, maybe it's cause they're not as "pretty" or because they don't garner as much attention, but I just love them, they have a totally different personality than the males, very friendly and love attention, you should see my female tank when I walk past it, they all pop out and rush over to the side to see me.

I agree!! My males are awesome and have their own personality quirks, but the girls in my community tank are hysterical! They've very interactive, even moreso than the boys are when you go up to the glass. They form a line at the front of the tank and stare at you, and are super curious about absolutely everything in the tank (I've accidentally siphoned and scooped a girl or two out of the tank during water changes, sometimes I have to net them to keep them out of the way!)

s72450
10-07-2008, 06:29 AM
I know what you mean about their curiosity, all four girls line up to see me when I walk past. I have them in my living room and lay my keys and my wallet down on the same table when I come in from work and they all rush to the front to see me, it's very sweet.

Kayla-Bug
10-11-2008, 05:45 AM
See I always overlook the transparent ones because I'm afraid they're sick.Well that's why you have to know how to pick out the healthy ones. The male was really lively and flared at my finger when I put it on his cup. I had been eyeing him for a month. I came back and he was still there! And I knew it was him by that face and by that flare. I knew the female was ok as well because she was also lively. Poop in the cup, clear eyes etc.

s72450
10-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Poop in the cup is a good thing? I didn't know that, although there has been some in everyone I've bought I've noticed.

Gayle
10-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Odd isnt it. LOL Walking around looking at the Betta and going..... "No this one does not have any poop in the cup" Ha Ha Ha

Kayla-Bug
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Odd isnt it. LOL Walking around looking at the Betta and going..... "No this one does not have any poop in the cup" Ha Ha HaLol, yea it is odd.. But yes, poop in the cup is good because it means they aren't constipated or sick or something. Make sure to check for poop from now on, lol.

s72450
10-13-2008, 11:46 AM
I already get odd looks when I'm checking over the fish that I buy, I guess at least around here people are not used to seeing someone really study a fish before they buy it.

Sounguru
10-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I have four tanks now, it's getting sad, lol.

4 I just aquired my 18th and a terraium.... You have a long way o go my friend...:14:

s72450
10-14-2008, 03:35 AM
Well I'm picking up a 55g in about three weeks which will put me at five tanks. I'm planting the 55g and letting it cycle before I move my residents of the 10g tank over and then I'm re-doing the 10g for my female bettas. I'm keeping my Jack in his 5.5g since he loves it in there and moving Athena into the sorority tank once it's up and running, that way I put them all in at the same time and they won't hurt one another, I'm very protective of my little girl, lol.