PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Nose Adult Size?

BigMac
10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
How big do Bristle Nose get at maturity?

I'm shopping for an algie eater for a planted tank.

Jacko
10-04-2008, 11:26 PM
It depends on the individual species of Ancistrus, but mostly they get 5-6 inches max. I wouldn't try them in anything less than a 20 gallon long though, if your tank is under 20 gallons you might want to look at otocinclus.

BigMac
10-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Its a 55 but I'm looking at the total bio load..

I notice a small pair of BN at my LFS.

Jacko
10-04-2008, 11:40 PM
If it's a male and female pair, then I'd get them. Though you'd likely end up with more than 2 BN after a while. Plecos of any sort do have a large bioload, what filteration are you gonna have and what's the basic stock?

BigMac
10-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I have 7 Cory Cats ( 3 panda 4 pepper) and 6 Zebra Loaches.

This is a planted tank and I just got a new plant light.. the algie is coming.

Im running a fluval 404.

johnl
10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Just my opinion but you'd be better off with ottos to control algae. Much lower bio load than a plec and BN's really don't eat all that much algae.

BigMac
10-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm beginning to think the same way.

I think my Loaches are the "big fish" in this tank.

I keep looking into my tank thinking about how big all the fish are going to be when they mature.

A small pair of polka dotted bristle noses is really really tempting.
I don't know how my wife expects me to only have one tank.:hmm3grin2orange:

Jacolene
10-06-2008, 12:38 AM
BN's are great, I have 2 in a 50gal tank. Bio waist is expexted as with any fish so you do need to do waterchanges. They breed really easy and mine in male 10cm and the female 8cm. They been spawning since they were 8mnths of age and has been spawning every 3 weeks ever since. Each spawn produce about 50 fry with about 30 serviving as I leave them in my community tank. It is realy one of the low maintenance plecs and I would recommend them to everbody! With so many deferent spiecies of BN's you can't go wrong. I also have a L144 in a deferent tank so I would say I'm hooked!

Dave66
10-06-2008, 12:47 AM
Bristlenose, and most sucker-mouthed catfish in general, don't have the activity level to be as large a bioload as believed. I've started all my freshwater planted tanks with loricariads as the first fish since I was a kid, and if they were the heavy bioload, believe me, I'd know about it.
Common bristlenose available in shops tops out at five inches, though it can take a couple years for them to get there, as they slow down markedly when they hit about 3.5 inches.
Just FYI, Bristlenose are cave spawners, so if you buy a group in hopes of a compatible pair, be sure to build several small caves in the back half of the tank. They commonly breed when mature if properly kept and fed.

Dave

TorqueWorks
10-07-2008, 04:10 AM
BN's are great, I have 2 in a 50gal tank. Bio waist is expexted as with any fish so you do need to do waterchanges. They breed really easy and mine in male 10cm and the female 8cm. They been spawning since they were 8mnths of age and has been spawning every 3 weeks ever since. Each spawn produce about 50 fry with about 30 serviving as I leave them in my community tank. It is realy one of the low maintenance plecs and I would recommend them to everbody! With so many deferent spiecies of BN's you can't go wrong. I also have a L144 in a deferent tank so I would say I'm hooked!
How long does is take before seeing fry?

Dave66
10-07-2008, 04:46 AM
Takes sexual maturity, the right foods and right water parameters (neutral to slightly acid and soft, upper 70's temps) and a lot of luck. Torque. Bristlenose breed when they care to, so it can take months or years before they do IF they do. You'd have to buy six or eight of them to at least have a chance for a male and female pair, as there's no way to tell the sexes when they are young without venting.
Common ones do breed in aquariums in time if they are set-up correctly. Good thing is if they start breeding they'll continue to regularly.

Dave