PDA

View Full Version : Starting an Angel tank...

s72450
10-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Closer to Christmas I am getting a new 20 gallon tank and I'd like to put some Angels in it. I have no experience with this breed of fish and am looking for suggestions and tips on raising a healthy Angel.

I plan on doing a planted tank and I've seen pictures of Angels in planted tanks so I'm going to assume that is a good plan.

Again, any tips and information would be greatly appreciated.

fins_n_fur
10-04-2008, 10:49 AM
You can only keep 1 adult angelfish in a 20 gallon tank. They need a between 15-20 gallons a piece, so if you want more, you have to go much bigger on the tank size, I'm afraid. Also, the tank height should be close to 24 inches high to allow for their finnage to develop properly as they mature. A large 120 gallon planted tank would would be awesome for angels (and other fish) if you have the room and resources for it.

Fishalicious
10-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Fins has it spot on... they need a high tank for fin developement and 1 Angel per 20 gallons.

gunk
10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
If it's a 20 long it probably won't be high enough, and a 20 high might not be long enough. You should consider a 29 high. It's 30 inches long and 18 inches high. You could probably fit 2 Angels in there if they're not already full grown. But that might be pushing it a bit.

smaug
10-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Agree with the 1 pers 20gal,however,that doesnt mean you can put an angel in a 20gal tank comfortably.30 gals or more is best and the taller the better.

s72450
10-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Small update. I ended up getting a 29gal tank today. I'm going to set it up next week once I get a stand for it. I'm curious if there is anything I'm going to need for my angels. I think I'm going to get two of them, the tank is very high and should be okay for two correct?

What other fish would get along with angels? I'd like to put a few others in the tank, not alot though, but just enough to fill it.

As for decor, is there anything I should stick away from, what typically goes well in an angel tank? I know with my Betta tanks I try to get away from anything rough as it can nip at their fins.

Thanks everyone!

Stetothevo
10-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I have 1 Marble Angelfish who seems to do very well with Glass Fish, they kinda pal around and school together. They are also pretty chill to look at too because they are all transparent. But they need some salt in their water, which I've read is fine with Angelfish as long as it isn't a huge dose of salt.

Stetothevo
10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
If you'd like, check out the picture of my tank, its a 29 Gal as well, and my angelfish seems happy as can be in it. Its in the photo gallery under my name.

smaug
10-28-2008, 09:24 PM
I have 1 Marble Angelfish who seems to do very well with Glass Fish, they kinda pal around and school together. They are also pretty chill to look at too because they are all transparent. But they need some salt in their water, which I've read is fine with Angelfish as long as it isn't a huge dose of salt.
No freshwater fish needs salt.Definetly not angels.Sorry to jump on ya!

smaug
10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Stay away from any fish smaller then an inch,angels are no angels when they get bigger.Remember they are a cichlid and can get very nasty.Larger tetra are a good choice for tankmates ,any bigger then an inch will do.any bottom dwelling fish is good as long as you have the room for it.Corys are a natural choice.hatchetfish are good too.

Stetothevo
10-28-2008, 09:40 PM
No freshwater fish needs salt.Definetly not angels.Sorry to jump on ya!

From what I read, glass fish tend to be more brackish fish tho, I wasn't saying Angels need it, but can adapt to it.

smaug
10-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Fish can adapt to a wide variety of conditions,the glass fish will do far better without salt then the angel will do with it.