PDA

View Full Version : Green water

RitzieAnn
10-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Hello. I just joined, and though while i'm at it- I'll post a thread about my mother in laws tank. :)

It's a 55, and houses 3 Silver Dollars and a very large Pleco (about 10-12 inches) The tank grows alge. Not just some, like her other tank, or like my 3... but it grows in the water. She's tried on several occasions to do a 20% water change, replace filter pads, and it doesn't work. She's gotten that clear water stuff from the store, as well as an alge killer- and it'll work sometimes, but in like 40 hours it's horrible again.

You actually cannot even see the fish right now unless they're very near to the front of the tank.

There is a tiny bit of a story to the tank though. It started off with angle fish & garamies. Then it ended up holding 3 oscars, until they outgrew it. After we gave them away it held my blue gill (it's a lake fish) For most of this time the same Pleco has been in the tank. It really started getting nasty when the Oscars lived in it. However, when we got rid of them, we siphoned the gravel and did as close to possible a 100% water change. It filtered for a while, though I dont remember how long. Then my Blue Gill moved in. it got icky like that once with him. He lived in it for almost 7 months. now the Silver Dollars live in it, and suddenly it's absolutely impossible to keep clear.

There are also spots on the glass that she cannot remove the alge from. She's tried abrasive scrub pads, mid range scrub pads, razor blades and some acid thing that she picked up from PetSmart. It will not go away.

fins_n_fur
10-04-2008, 08:49 AM
One of our members, Dave66, wrote this primer (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=24570&highlight=algae) on algae and should help you help your mother-in-law.