PDA

View Full Version : Clown Loaches And Neon Tetras

shiv
10-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I have been wanting to add a pair of Clown Loaches to my aquarium which houses at the moment Discus and Neon Tetras.
I want to put in Clown Loaches to help fight the algae in my tank.I am a little unsure if i should put in Pleco's or Clown Loaches as i fear they both might start killing the Neon's in my tank.
Please let me know if i'm wrong in my fears.
Thanks,
Shiv

ILuvMyGoldBarb
10-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Well, clown loaches won't eat algae so your choice should be rather easy, no clown loaches. If you need an algae eater for a Discus tank then look into getting a Bristlenose Pleco. Otos would also be a good choice.

Dave66
10-04-2008, 06:31 AM
I have been wanting to add a pair of Clown Loaches to my aquarium which houses at the moment Discus and Neon Tetras.
I want to put in Clown Loaches to help fight the algae in my tank.I am a little unsure if i should put in Pleco's or Clown Loaches as i fear they both might start killing the Neon's in my tank.
Please let me know if i'm wrong in my fears.
Thanks,
Shiv

Shiv,
Clown loaches aren't fish eaters. In nature they eat aquatic worms, small crustaceans and insect larvae. However, Clown loaches top out at 16 inches, and being that large, it's possible they will eat the neons at night, as like all fish, they will eat fish vastly smaller than themselves.
Most of the plecos available don't do well at Discus temperatures, and the loaches don't do much in the way of algae.
Siamese Algae Eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis) can handle up to 84 degrees Fahrenheit, so if you keep your Discus at 82, you could use them to control algae.

Dave

Demjor19
10-09-2008, 03:25 PM
I agree with the above....Clown Loaches do nothing as far as algae goes. They are nice for cleaning up scraps and controlling snails, but do not eat algae.

sPuD
10-28-2008, 06:39 AM
I would go with the bristle nose. They do a good job of cleaning up the algae and don't grow too big . . . unlike some other plecos.

Clown loaches are the most awsum fish ever, but as the others say will do nothing for the algae.

cer
11-20-2008, 10:02 PM
You Should Get 3-4 Ottos

mac
11-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Hi,
I agree with all the advice given.

Clown Loaches are not a Algae eater. And they don't tend to eat live fish. But they will eat dead fish though.

I would go with Ottocinclus or Bristle Nose, or a Pleco of some sort. But it depends on you size tank for a Pleco.

mac