PDA

View Full Version : Are bettas unhappy alone??

CinRell
01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I've been reading this forum and see a few of you have other critters in with your betta. I never have.. was always too scared to. But at least one of my betta seemed SO excited when I'd come into the room (not for food... he preferred to watch and interact with me over eating his food)... was he lonely? I really don't know that I want more than one fish (that's why I really like this kind)... but if it's better for them to have something to interact with.....

Abbeys_Mom
01-10-2007, 08:34 PM
I don't think Bettas get lonely. I have had shrimp and snails in with my Bettas and they have never seemed to care either way.

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 09:44 PM
i've never had a betta tell me if they were lonely or not! lol
hard to say

CinRell
01-10-2007, 09:51 PM
i've never had a betta tell me if they were lonely or not! lol
hard to say
I suppose I was asking for that one LOL

Glasstapper
01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't say lonely, really. I know that they learn to recognize you as their food provider, so they will be more active when you're in front of the tank. I call it the "food dance". As for tankmates, I have one of those bettas that doesn't like to share his space. I guess he is just content to see me a few times a day and dance for me. :) I like it, too.

jeffs99dime
01-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I suppose I was asking for that one LOL

sorry. i was just messin' with ya'! it is true though. how would a human being know if a fish is lonely or not? you know? lol

Drumachine09
01-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Your best bet is to get a peaceful bottom dwelling fish, such as a corydora, that will moslty stay out of his way. if he likes it, great, if not move it to another tank or return it.

bettaboy691
01-11-2007, 05:16 PM
some bettas like company, some dont.good fish to keep with bettas are bottom dwellers such as cory cats or sucking loach.if its a big enough tank, small tetras make good tank mates, or atleast they do for me.