PDA

View Full Version : Causes?

BettaSei
10-03-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm just looking for another opinion.

My close friend has a betta, Floyd. She tends to have trouble getting around to cleaning Floyd's tank (He lives in a giant Brandy glass... with soo many plants... O.o) And so she got a Pleco which we named Buddy. Floyd attacked Buddy until Buddy died.

I think that Floyd was cramped for space, she seems to think that Floyd was just aggressive since he lived alone for a long time.

What do you guys think?

cocoa_pleco
10-03-2008, 06:33 AM
how big is the brandy glass? unless its a 20g+ glass with a filter and heater, theres no way that pleco had a chance of survival.

im guessing the glass is only a few gallons, so i would think the betta got fed up and took his anger out on the pleco. the pleco could have also been weakened healthwise from poor water

BettaSei
10-03-2008, 06:38 AM
I can't remember how big my tank is exactly - But I have at least a 3 gallon tank - with a filter. But my Sei lives in more space than Floyd.

I didn't think the Pleco was a good idea in the first place - but he was so tiny... Floyd had a definite size advantage - he's also the biggest betta I've ever seen.

Buddy survived all of 3 days with Floyd.

cocoa_pleco
10-03-2008, 06:41 AM
yeah, plecos need their room. even the smallest plecos, dwarfs, need a fully filtered and heated 20g. larger ones need 150g+ tanks. the betta in the glass alone with a filter is alright, but nothing else can go with him

what could work though is if you convince your friend to get a 20g tank kit for $50 from wal-mart, which has everything you need, and that tank could safely hold a betta, pleco, and a school of 5 corys

BettaSei
10-03-2008, 06:48 AM
Cool... Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, living in the dorm we can't get that big of a tank... Things to look forward to after College.

cocoa_pleco
10-03-2008, 06:53 AM
check what sizes youre allowed, as far as i know most allow up to 10g but alot allow 20g's

BettaSei
10-03-2008, 06:57 AM
we can have up to 10g - if you can find the space for that! I barely have space for what I use for my Poseidon.